Do you privately pay for a midwife?

How does that work? Do they take insurance, do you privately pay, can they accept medicaid? I am so confused..

Also, are midwives common where you are from? I wanted a natural birth at home, but was so scared. I had no idea where to start and ended up getting and induction because of my depression and horrible stress. I feared it was harming the baby. I wish so much I had a natural birth and am striving for one next time.

I just don't understand how I can. How does it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It depends on your state. For Certified Nurse Midwife most states require that insurance cover at least one in your area as an option for you to go to. If they do not you can petition them to and/or pay out of network costs. CNMs typically practice in a hospital or birth center though. For a home birth you most likely will not have a CNM though and that you will have to pay out of pocket for. Most will work with you on a payment plan and sliding scale. If you are looking for a home birth midwife then check out www.mothering.com discussion forums specifically the "finding your tribe" area and the ladies in your are should be able to help you out.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• There's not a simple answer I'm afraid. Where I live, there are not midwives available for home birth. I am using a free-standing birth center and my prenatal care is covered by my insurance (though out of network). I have read information on midwives in other areas and it seems that they really don't want money to be the deciding factor on who you choose to attend your birth...aka...they will work with you. What you really need to do is find some in your area and ask them.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2009