Who do i call if i have reason to believe that a parent is neglecting a child?

Neglecting as in: I was inside their house and there is so many ways this baby could die of SIDS. So bad they should not have this child anymore.

MelanietheMommy

Asked by MelanietheMommy at 7:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd suggest you have proof cuz if you cal CPS and there are false accusation you can have a felony on your record then.I just had CPS called on me and it was all false and they said they just passed the law where if its false the person who said it gets taken to court and they end up with a felony.
    Anonymous

• Your local Child Protective Services agency. If you can't find the number, call the non-emergency police and they can give it to you.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I would first bring it up with the parent to see if any changes can be made(if you can ) or else call the local CYS and speak to them about what you saw..here is a website that might help

http://aspe.hhs.gov/_/topic/subtopic.cfm?subtopic=325
    MamaMindx

Answer by MamaMindx at 7:36 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You would need to call Child Protective Services. Though I'm curious as to how there are so many ways the baby could die of SIDS when SIDS stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Although there are precautions you can take to make it less likely, no one knows the real reason why these deaths occur so I'm not sure what things you're seeing that are pointing to SIDS. I'm sure you have your reasoning for calling CPS, I'm just commenting about the SIDS :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It depends... what do you mean? Did they put the baby to sleep in a crib full of blankets? Yes, that could cause SIDS, but would they take away the baby... No. Were they smoking in the house? Bad yes, illegal no. If they were physically harming their child, by all means, call immediately... otherwise you might be wasting your time.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You could call your state CPS and in most states I believe you can report it anonymously. Please make sure you have some sort of proof because they will probably ask you alot of questions when you call as to why you believe this child is being neglected. They won't investigate without just cause.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:07 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Why don't you talk to them first? Most of the time people put their children at risk of SIDS because they aren't educated on how to prevent it. If you notified CPS I am guessing that they would just talk to her as well. It isn't child abuse to say for instance put fluffy blankets and toys in a crib, but it definitely isn't safe!! Refer her to this website
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sudden-infant-death-syndrome/DS00145/DSECTION=prevention
    if she doesn't want to listen, and if she continues despite you speaking with her then I would definitely contact CPS.
    Pieceofmysoul

Answer by Pieceofmysoul at 9:04 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I would talk to her first. Maybe she just doesn't know. In a suttle way hint to her. Calling CPS is serious business and yes I know so is SIDS but if she has no idea maybe you can help her out. CPS is a big step. Try to help her yourself first,please.
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:55 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• call cps... no joke. dont wait either. their hotline is open 24\7
    JerzisMommy

Answer by JerzisMommy at 2:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Always call do not doubt yourself call it is your obligation if you believe there is abuse. Call 911
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 6:56 PM on Jun. 23, 2008