i am 9 wks pregnant, but only yolk sac?

the scan showed the sac, but there was no sign of the fetus or any indications of a baby. What could be wrong?

Ann181

Asked by Ann181 at 6:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did the dr. not explain it to you?
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am not trying to be mean I am just asking because I think your dr. would know best.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My first pregnancy turned out this way... an empty sac, no baby inside, according to my knowledge it's a blighted ovum... i had a DnC to remove it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• terimelisa no he didnt. Only said that it worried him and scheduled another appointment, but only in 3 weeks! So until then i am left hanging.
    Ann181

Answer by Ann181 at 7:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Maybe your dr thinks it's too early (maybe off on the due date?) and wants to give it some time. By 9 weeks they should be able to see the fetus and heartbeat. With my son I had an u/s at 6 wks and nothing was found so they scheduled another for 9 wks and everything was fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Wst I wanna say GL to you, I hope everything turns out fine, like anan 742. Mine, however turned out to be just that, an empty sac. Its heartbreaking & I truly hope you don't have to go through it. how do you feel? That's how I knew something was different- I just didn't feel pregnant! They did a dnc & tied my tubes as that was the 3rd baby I had lost or that didnt develope. Take care of yourself!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 8:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My friend had the same thing happen to her with her second pregnancy, she was told the same thing, and had to wait about 2 weeks before the second ultrasound. Everything was fine. I hope everything turns out fine for you too. God bless, I'll say a prayer for you!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Are you sure you're 9 weeks? Sometimes dates can be off and you may not be as far along as you think. A friend of mine thought she was about 9 weeks due to her LMP and saw only the yolk sac at her u/s. A week or 2 later they did another u/s and found the baby. She was only 4-5 weeks at the 1st u/s instead of 9 like she thought.
    Good Luck Hun! Hope it's a case of miscalculated dates.
    autumnsmommy02

Answer by autumnsmommy02 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Same happend with me, except the dates where OFF. I was like 2-3weeks preggo instead of 8 weeks.
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 9:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my cousin had the she thing happen to her, twice in the past year. both times, she found out between 7-9 weeks. the first time, she had to have a dnc. the second time, she was carrying twins. both sacs were empty. she had to take some pills to remove the dead tissue. hopefully that is not the case with you. if your dates are off, it may just be too early. i wish you the best.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2009