When did you L/O Start using his/hers spoon?

I cannot remember when my oldest did but when did yours start? My 1 yr old is not getting the hang of it.

Thank you

kaylajean86

Asked by kaylajean86 at 7:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I let mine play with their spoons when they were sitting in their high chair and I fed them (from about 8 months on). They naturally started to TRY and feed themselves by around age 1--but became proficient (actually getting SOME food into their mouths via a spoon!) by around age 2+ :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i gave my son a spoon/fork at one and he took it from...i no longer feed him
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't remember exactly, but, it was before a year old..Because on his first birthday, when I tried to get him to pick up his cake with his hand and eat it, he refused and started pointing to and asking for the spoon. LOL He finished his cake and ice cream with his spoon.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• She's been asking for a spoon and trying to feed herself (mostly unsucessfully) for about a month now (she's 16 months). If we let her play with a spoon, she's more receptive to us feeding her.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 10:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son just turned 2 and has only been actually using a spoon for its intended purpose for a few months (before that, he'd have one, but he'd just play with it). Even now, he uses his hands about half the time, but he can eat from his own spoon with persistence.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2009