yellow grass

its weird i have a german shepherd and when he pees there is a real big yellow spot.but usually for some reason he doesnt go to the bathroom where he plays.anyway next store they have a miniture schnauzer and is just let out in the back yard to go,there are no yellow spots on her grass.she doesnt do anything to her grass.my husband has grass anxiety and is always mowing .i say let it grow to the sky.whats up with this dog.i thought all dogs left a so called yellow spot.

raineydays377

Asked by raineydays377 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pets

• my doesn't cause I give her treats that neutralize the stuf in her urine that burns the grass.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• interesting...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You can buy things to put in their food and water to make them not ruin the grass. Its sold at most pet stores and is perfectly safe.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 9:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Try to get him to drink more water. All dogs leave a yellow spots to some degree, it's caused by the ammonia in the urine, it burns the grass.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My vet told me that male vs. female, whether a dog has been spayed or neutered, diet, and the breed can all have an impact on the ammonia levels in a dog's urine. I owned a large, spayed border collie and her urine left huge burn marks in the grass, but my little spayed schipperke didn't affect the grass at all. Strange but true!
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 11:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• ya she is a large spayed german shepher...this is a minuture schnauzer named oliver so i dont know if its a girl or boy...i think knowing her the dog is spayed///
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• all my dogs have always left yellow grass..its sooo annoying..lol..but whatever, i deal with it!! imnot gonna give up my dogs just so i can have nice lookin grass!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I've heard that female dogs' pee is more concentrated than male dogs. I don't know how true that is. In the last place we were living our dogs started turning the grass yellow and my husband set up a sprinkler system and set it to a timer. It would water the lawn at 5 in the morning for about 15 minutes and that really seemed to help. Dilution is the solution to pollution so to speak. You could try watering that part of your yard everyday for about 10 to 15 minutes. Do it in the early morning or evenings so it doesn't evaporate immediately.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Anyone else laughing their ass off at 'next store'?

Tomato juice is supposed to help with the acid in their urine that kills grass. I haven't tested this, it's just something I've heard.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 3:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We use gypsum, neutralizes the urine and is wonderful for the grass. Goes on just like fertilizer. Our back yard has lush thick dark green grass. Did such a good job this year hubby is using it on the front and back. We put it on twice a year, spring/Fall.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 4:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009