Christian marrige and the divorce rate

The Christian faith puts a very, very large stigma on divorce. For example, in Matthew 5:32 Jesus says:

But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.

In Matthew 19:9, Jesus repeats that sentiment:
I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery

Divorce rates among conservative Christians are significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.

How can one go on and on about Gay marriage being wrong, about it ruining the 'sanctity' of marriage and being an sin when divorce is just as much of a sin and the divorce rate among Christians is higher than any other faith?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• IhartU, you're right. I'm a Christian, and to me no sin is greater than the other in God's eyes. Sin is sin, and that's how God looks at it. There's different consequences to sin, but the sin is still just SIN. If you lie, it's a sin just like adultery is. That's why I'm not going to bash gay marriages and such, because unless you haven't sinned in your life, then you have no room to condemn any other person for it. We were born in to sin, and we all do it. To me, I do not like that we do. I don't like lying, adultery, or anything of sin, but condemning people will not save them, help them, or make them stop. I don't agree with the sin of homosexuality, just like I don't agree with the sin of unforgiveness, which I am guilty of. I often stay vengeful and let it get to me and make me bitter. I've sinned in many ways, and that doesn't mean or condone it, but I know that it's going to happen with everyone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Just because someone claims themselves as Christians does not mean they are a true Christian. These studies merely take the claimed religion of a person. I can not see the heart of a person,and therefore can not tell if they are a true Christian or not, but for the divorce rate to be so high among "Christians" it certainly raises the question of whether or not these people have truly been washed in the blood of Jesus.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Or their Chruch is not doing enough to help the problems in their marrige- aren't they supposed to do that? Offer counciling?

I have another question though:

90% of divorces among born-again couples occur after they have been "saved." (Donald Hughes, author of The Divorce Reality) So are you saying that there are that many people who are pretending to be Christians?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• " I can not see the heart of a person,and therefore can not tell if they are a true Christian or not"

I don't think anyone can ever claim to know if another is a "true" christian. That is way too personal of a thing. And the same goes for gay people. You can't see their hearts, you simply (you=general) judge based on ONE act that you deem a sin. Christians sin all of the time.

One is no better than another, and one is no more "christian" than another.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think alot of people (whether they be Christian or not) get married for the wrong reasons in general. And then when it gets tough, they run. Christians probably feel that the "devil" has somehow entered their marriage and they no longer want to be under that influence? Just a guess.
    But I see nothing wrong with allowing gay couples to marry. I don't see how it ruins the sanctity of marriage. Isn't marriage supposed to be between two people who are in love and willing to spend the rest of their lives together? That's what it was for me when I married my hubby, anyway.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My take on the divorce rate is not what many Christians assume. They usually claim it's because people have no morals anymore because they're not following the bible as much as people did in the old days. My opinion is that people are coming to their senses and relying on common sense rather than a book. They realize that they shouldn't have to live with someone they are not happy with and they realize staying together "for the kids" when you don't get along does NOT help them. Not all marriages way-back-when were happy just because there's was more Christianity. People were miserable and even abused, but were told to stick it out. I'd much rather have the high divorce rate than people spending their lives in misery because they feel they are obligated to stay with someone.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• IA metalcowgirl!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• IhartU...Churches do offer counceling, and so do psychologists, that doesn't mean people use their resources. Some people, whether they are true christians or not, don't even try to save their marriage, they fight and argue because society tells them that it's ok to have a fight and get divorced. One thing everyone worships the same is money, so many people go into debt because of divorce, so if (christian or not) they weren't thinking about their vows and promise to God, they could at least think about the money they'd lose and more would second guess themselves and try to work it out. Sad but true. It is not up to us to decide who's a better christian, but it's up to those Christians (who by the way are all different denominations you didnt specify) to do the right thing, not everyone follows their religion closely, Being Catholic, I make mistakes, like giving into anger ( a mortal sin), excuse me while i go repent
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009