Need advice on possibly taking a lower paying position for more time with kids

Hello everyone,

I need your help. I currently hold a management position with a great company, but I work so many hours a day. I do not get a chance to spend much time with my kids because my shifts change at times to ensure that I work with all of my employees on various shifts. I am at the point where I am burnt out and asking myself "is this really worth it"? Recently, I interviewed for a lower paying position with benefits. This is a job that I really would enjoy and the best part about it is that I will have a M-F, 8am until 5pm shift. I keep asking myself if I would make a horrible choice in choosing this job, but I would be able to finally spend more time with my son (age 7) and daughter (age 9). What would you all do in this situation?
I have one more day to decide if i will take this job offer.

Thanks
LT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• The first thing that comes to mind is to ask yourself what's more important- the money or the time with your kids? From what you wrote, the time with your kids is important to you and you have been missing it. Would you be able to make it on the lower paycheck? To me, even if you need to cut out some things, it's worth the time with your kids and having a consistent schedule, esp. since you would still have the benefits. There a site paycheckcity.com where you can plug in the #s and estimate your check amounts that might help you. I recently stopped working FT because what we were paying for childcare/school was almost as much as I was making, and I wasn't getting that time with the kids. Now I have my own business from home and I am here with them all the time and we all love it! That's what was right for us and you have to decide what's best for your family! Make your own choice and be ok with it!
    ksksherrod

Answer by ksksherrod at 8:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Your children are only young once. You are very lucky to have found another job that will work. Even if this all weren't encouragement enough to change jobs, then the burnout should do it. I burned out from a job and it took years to recover. I was not nice to be around during that time, I didn't do my job well, and I was exhausted all the time. Burnout is not something to play around with. Change something. If you can't change your hours or responsibility, then change jobs. I thought I could overwork because I could do it. But I was wrong, I suffered from exhaustion and nerves. Choose what is better for you. Good luck. I wonder if you would post a follow up or send me a message so I'll know what you've chosen?

Answer by Bmat at 8:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If you could support your family from the income off the job you interviewed for you should definitely snatch it up. You being happy and able to spend more time with your family are the most important things. The income adjustment will come, but i for one wouldnt put a price on happiness. It sounds like you really want to be there for your kids, and its awesome that you have the opportunity to do so! Take IT!!! GL.....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• PLEASE TAKE THAT JOB!! IAM CURRENTLY IN THIS SITUATION NOW. I HAVE A LOW PAYING JOB AND VACATIONS IN THE SUMMER WITH NO PAY(PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM). I ALSO ATTEND PURDUE UNIVERSITY SO MY BENEFIT TO MY CHILD IS NOT ONLY EDUCATION BUT THE MONEY TO DO MORE THINGS THAN WE COULD WHILE I WAS STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET. TALK TO YOUR CHILDREN. IF YOU ARE USE TO EXPENSIVE VACATIONS TRY TO GET THE KIDS TO START ENJOYING LOCAL ATTRACTIONS. SOMETIMES FOR ME, I CAN TAKE MY SON TO A REALLY NICE PARK SOMEWHERE DISTANT FROM WHERE WE LIVE BUT STILL LOCAL AND HE MEETS NEW FRIENDS. TRUST AND BELIEVE IT WILL PAY OFF!!!!!!
    loyaljazz

Answer by loyaljazz at 9:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I really feel for you. I was also in management and I was waorking 60 plus hours a week plus when I wasn't AT work I was still on call if my employess needed me!! It was so tiring so by time I did get home I was still working and exhausted with not much left for my child :( The money was great but then I realized I'd rather be tight on things then NEVER see or get to enjoy seeing my child. I am now expecting our 2nd little girl and have found something that works for me AT HOME. If you can take the pay cut and still afford to live then I would DO IT for sure!! Being home with my daughter is the best most rewarding feeling EVER and I am still contributing income :) Good Luck girlie and do what FITS your family bot someone else :) God Bless
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 9:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Can you afford to live on the lower paying job? If you can afford to live, then I'd definitely take it to spend more time with the kids. Spending time with the kids is much more important than making a ton of money. But don't make yourself destitute or barely getting by, either, b/c then the time with your kids will be marred by the constant worrying about how you'll pay this bill or that bill or buy groceries, and that won't be any better than the way things are now. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Go for it! I am old fashioned, fam comes first and your kids need you! When I read your question, I had a suggestion for you. You say you are getting a pay cut? I started an at home biz a few months back and people do it and make a ton of money and others do it to make a little extra every month (it is definately not get rich scam!) The comp I work with recently won an award with the BBB for its ethics and integrity. I have 2 little ones at home with me, a 5 and a 2 year old. If you are interested, I would love to help you. You can visit my website at www.beingunited.com or email me at rebeccabowen@live.com. I can't wait to talk!
    Rebecca
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Not only would I do it, but I did! I was in a similar situation, working a very high-paying, long-hours shift work position that resulted in me missing nearly an entire year of my son's life. I can never get that time back! I can never see the play he was in or talk to his teacher during parent/teacher conferences. With tremendous support from my husband I left the rat race to become a SAHM. Our income was literally cut in half and the first year was a struggle as I established a new budget plan, but I've never regretted the choice and neither have my husband and son. Our entire family is healtheir and happier as a result of this one change, and we discovered that having more money = more toys really didn't feel that good anyway. Spending time together and being there for each other, and not being stressed out all the time... that's invaluable!
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 11:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Children grow very fast and before you know it, they will be too big and grown up to spend time with mom. It is important to have financial freedom but at the same time have time for your family. There are other options you may want to consider as well while you take your lower income job. A home based business and then you can have it all. Free time for the kids, time for yourself and still bring in income. I do MonaVie with my husband and I have worked in the corporate world for 20 years since I was 16 and there is nothing like working for yourself and making up your own hours. If your finances allows it, I would take the lower income job in the meantime so you can spend time with the kids and then look at other opportunities that will create you wealth. A job will only pay the bills, but your own business will create you wealth and finacial freedom. Good luck and let me know if you would like to hear more abt MonaVie.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 12:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• As long as the new job will be sufficient to support your family's needs, then I say take it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009