• In the Spotlight:

How do i get my 4 month old to sleep through the night and without me?

My 4 month old son doesnt sleep thru the night and its getting frustrating because I am still in school. He wakes up in the middle of the night and just thrashes around. Sometimes I cant even put him down when he falls asleep on me because he'll wake up and stay up. I have been trying to get him on a schedual but when he spends the night with his dad it kinda messes it up. The schedual is the same wen hes there... so it doenst make sense to me.. HELP!

Papitoz_Mama

Asked by Papitoz_Mama at 8:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe sleeping a 6 hour stretch (or maybe it is 5 hours) is considered "sleeping through the night". Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone that all babies reach at different times.

Though I have not read it myself, I have heard great things about the No-Cry Sleep Solution. http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071381392.php
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Does he take a bottle then? It's completely typical for a 4 mo old to still have a night feeding. By 7 mo of age, you should try and break the nighttime wakings. But not at 4 months. I would try a bottle and lay him back down. GL
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i know this is going to sound mean but for the 2 day keep him up durning the day then at night he will sleep that want my sister in law did with my niece and my mom had to do with me because he tired at night he will sleep with out you but do let him get a 2 hour naps duriong the day
    mommy2be5132009

Answer by mommy2be5132009 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son has been sleeping through the night since he was 3.5months. He has never slept in our bed or with us. From the very beginning he slept in his bassinet, when he would wake up to eat he would eat then we immediately put him back in his own bed. We played soft music and used vibrations to get him to sleep on his own. Now he is 5months and once he has his 8pm feeding he goes into his crib, in his own room, and has learned how to fall asleep on his own. He doesn't wake up until about 630 the next morning. Just try to get him on a schedule and stick to it. Does he use a pacifer? Try that at night and we sometimes have to hold his hand to help him go to sleep but we never hold him because that wakes him up when we go to put him down.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 9:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• He is only four months old! Yes, some babies sleep through the night at two weeks, but not most. My daughter was 8 months old before she slept 6 solid hours. Babies sleep according to their needs, not ours.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009