What are some good gluten-free recipes for children?

My son and I are new to the gluten-free lifestyle and because he is a picky child, we are having a hard time adjusting to the new diet.

tmmom1996

Asked by tmmom1996 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I took chicken and rolled the pieces in gluten free flour and corn flakes that were crunched up.

Then fried them, you can bake them too. It made the chicken taste sweeter and gave it a crunchy texture.

I saw several cake mixes yesterday at the store that were gluten free! They looked tasty!!!

Stores are growing their inventory of gluten free products everyday! YEA!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I say if it's not recommended by your Dr. then don't change your diet to gluten-free.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I tried gluten free for a few months without Dr's advice. Its not harmful, it just eliminates flour from your diet.

Some children are allergic to gluten. She didnt say if her Dr said to or not....but either way, its the same as someone making their child be a vegetarian. Parents always decide what to allow their children to eat....why is this different anon?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• oh my if your son cant eat gluten do give it to him.we have been gluten free for 10 yrs.my husband has celiac.you can get everything these days wheat free,and corn flakes arent wheat free.you can get pasta and hot dogs.its a very straight forward diet,he can have some ice cream you just have to look at the ingredients.and they also have wheat free gluten free mixes.yes it is more expensive but if my husband eats wheat he bleeds out.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 9:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Some corn flakes are gluten free....I had them. ;) Some even say it on the box.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• What type of foods do you like to eat normally? Are you asking about entrees, desserts, etc. Grilled meat and/or veggie kabobs on the grill or fruit kabobs come to mind. Easy and fun to make. He might like to help!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Definitely get some brown rice noodles. I have a bunch of recipes that can easily be converted to GF. They are tasty, healthy , budget and kid-friendly. Send me a message if you would like recipes.
    Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie
    Lentil tacos
    Squashed macaroni
    Sweet potato & black bean burritos
    Sloppy jojos (made with lentils)
    Noodles with beans, sauce, spinach&cheese
    Italian stew
    Veggie stew with dumplings (crockpot)
    Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado sauce)
    Tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked "fries"
    General Tsao’s Tofu
    Tamale Bean Pie

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I appreciate your help in this issue. Celiacs runs in my family and my son has always has stomach issues and the doctor finally suggested we try the diet and see how his body responds. unfortunately, it has been successful. This will be a lifelong change that i don't look forward to.

Again, thank you to everyone for your time and help!
    tmmom1996

Answer by tmmom1996 at 8:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If you don't want mess with baking yourself,kids love these brownies whether they need to avoid gluten or not: www.sweetbabycakes.com
    JeannieDP

Answer by JeannieDP at 7:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2009