Have any of you used baby asprin to lower you child's fever?

My mother is telling me that is it still relatively safe. Motrin and tylenol are not even touching DS fever. Am aware of Reye's syndrome, but wonedring if any of you have any personal experience with using it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• no, don't use aspirin. It will thin out the blood in the body too much and cause other bleeding problems. It is not even safe to give dogs. My pediatrician and my vet have told me to never give either my kids or my dog aspirin. It is best to stay with Tylenol, motrin, aleve, BUT NEVER ASPIRIN.
    how high is the fever?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 104, doc says it is a virus and not sure how else to bring it down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Try Advil, or alternate Tylenol and Motrin, NEVER give a child with a fever aspirin! You may also give her an alcohol rub. Strip her down, and rub rubbing alcohol on her back, or try putting her in a lukewarm tub. If the fever doesn't break, call your dr.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Try what kustomkrochet said, the luke warm bath and alcohol on her back.

don't wait too long. 104 is too high for a baby. if it doesn't break soon, take him to the er..
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I've never given my kids aspirin either. Mainly because it makes me sick, and worried that it would do the same to my children.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• For the alcohol rub, do you just use straight rubbing alcohol? How long do you do it and how often?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 104 is high.. I would just take your child to the ER to be sure nothing is seriously wrong and let them help bring the fever down
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• you can use any alcohol, the green alcohol works best for me. Put it on a wash rag(drench it) and rub it on his back every 30 minutes. If it doesn't break after an hour or at least go down a little, take him to the ER. they may need to put him in an ice bath to cool him off. Is he lethargic? Are his eyes red, is he awake and playing?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Not lethargic, just whining and unhappy. Will try the alcohol rub, bath seemed to help a little. Will call the doc and head to the ER if it keeps going up. Thank you ladies!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• okay, good the bath helped a little, if his fever gets up that high again, take him straight to the ER and watch for him to tremble..a fever that high can cause a febrile seizure. Just be careful and watch him.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2009