My 14 daughter has had 1 period.

She has had 1 period and it was over a year ago. She will be 15 this fall and the docter says not to worry. But I can't help it. It has been so long for my first "special friend" to visit me that I don't remember if this in normal. What do you think??

vancarsmom

Asked by vancarsmom at 9:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• I think if the doctor says not to worry, don't worry.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• you shouldn't show any concern. It is quite normal for that to happen. I had my first period when i was twelve and didn't get another on until i was 14 so two years. I wouldn't stress out over it and if you do think something is wrong and you want a second opinion, take her to an ob-gyn and they will be able to check her out and let you know.
    AmberWiley

Answer by AmberWiley at 9:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I was 10 when I got mine. My sister started hers when she was 16. Each person is different. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• if you are really worried about it, find another doctor. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I had my first period a day after my 10th birthday. your daughter may be a late bloomer and she reproductive system is maturing and getting ready for puberty. It is like it's shedding it's skin. (so to speak)
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• There are wide ranges in the age girls start their periods...and sometimes they can be irregular until they are older. I would take her for a well child visit and discuss it with your dr.-
    BonJovilover

Answer by BonJovilover at 10:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I got mine when I was 12 yrs old.. ugh I remember it.. I yelled for my mom and she said "oh its fine you just got your period lol" Im like oh ok well no big deal thanks for informing me MOM!! lol.. I remember my 1st one too cause I had the WORST cramps EVER!!! Ugh and now that I have kids I would have to say those cramps can be next giving birth lol!! I'm pretty sure its fine though..now if she is lke 17 or 18 and STILL doesnt have it..then I would worry... Heck I have heard of girls GETTING there cycle at 9 yrs old!!!! lol..
    3greatkids751

Answer by 3greatkids751 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• she is fine, I have a friend who is so irregular that she will have one for 3 months straight and then not again for six months, her dr says she is fine, every woman is different.

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had the same problem at that age. Mine were very irregular with ranges of a constant cycle for 6 weeks to nothing for six months. It's still foreign when I do have a cycle. I honestly think I'm getting sick until I realize what is happening because I only get a period a few times a year. If you are concerned that there is a problem or if there is some sort of family history to consider, then I would take her to a gyno. After almost 15 years of being tested, I was finally diagnosed with poly cystic ovarian syndrome, which is the reason for being so irregular.

TwinsMommy08

Answer by TwinsMommy08 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 21, 2009