Ok, since I'm new at this . . . I have a couple/several questions.

My son just failed 3 of his 10th grade classes in the public school system. My specific question, is do his credits from the 9th grade ant those that he passed din the 10th grade transfer into the homeschool arena? How do I know where to start with him??

MountAiryMom

Asked by MountAiryMom at 9:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would say to ask your principal, counselor or superintendent of schools. I never home schooled, but it seems to me thye would be the ones that would know. If not, is there a homeschool website you could go to?
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I home schooled for 8th grade for DD but not high school but I can tell you that first place to start is your state's homeschooling association. Every state has different rules regarding who can homeschool & what is required. Try google-ing your state & "homeschool" and you can probably find it. I would think that the credits your son earned in high school should count. He will need to plan on having 2 transcripts when he applies to colleges but other than that, it shouldn't be a problem. He completed 9th grades & several classes of 10th grades so those credits won't just go away, I wouldn't think. If you need more help, I know there are homeschooling groups on here & those moms probably have a lot of info to share. Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Dont home school him, it will be worse. Make him get left back, he wil learn when he realizes that all his friends have graduated and they are having fun at college when he is still a sophmore.

Tell him that the more he tries, the less time he will spend in school. I HATE my high school so I dont want to be there any more than I have to. I graduate on Tuesday and I am never going back there. Send him somewhere he hates, its mean but it should work.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 1:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• To MammaBella . . . my son has anxiety, adhd, emotional issues, graphomotor issues and slight hearing issues just to mention a few. He has been ridiculed for the last 5 years and many tears have been shed. I can not as a mother sit by and accept this. I have already held him back 1 year, another would be too devistating. I can get through to him and teach him his lessons. I know I am making the best decision on behalf of my son. Thanks for your answer to my question, but I don't agree.
    MountAiryMom

Answer by MountAiryMom at 1:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Keeping in him in a public school and allowing him to be left back is not a good idea. That will only reduce his self confidence and cause more problems, especially if he has emotional issues. I have 2 friends, whose sons all have issues (anxiety, adhd, ocd, etc). For numerous reasons, none did well in public school. All 4 boys are doing fantastic in home schooling.

Each state has different requirements for home schooling. This website may help.

http://www.hslda.org/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Good Luck,
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 4:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009