When do you start having contractions?

I went to the Dr. the other day and they asked if I was feeling contractions yet but I am only 3 and a half months pregnant. I thought contractions were only in the 3rd trimester. Could the cramps I get be contractions????? I am really confused, please help.

TAB_517912

Asked by TAB_517912 at 9:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With my first I was about 6 months when I started noticing them, and with this one I starting noticing them at 16-17 weeks. It just depends. I cramp a lot besides the contractions, but I'm starting to be able to tell the difference between the random cramps and contractions.

One thing, your belly will get really tight with contractions. I also notice that I get out of breath with contractions but I don't with normal cramps.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• That's one of the standard questions they ask at every appointment just to make sure things are going according to plan. It doesn't mean you should be having contractions; in fact, this early, they expect you to say no. If they're worried about something, they'll let you know.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Braxton Hicks feel like contractions and some people get them earlier than others.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009