On going problem with my 8 yr. old son pooping his pants. PLEASE HELP!!!

This started when he was about 5 1/2 and has not stopped. I have taken him to the doctor and had tests done and there is nothing medically wrong with him. He hates to throw things away so I told him I would not try to clean his underware anymore and he would have to throw them out. I gave him the option to be grounded to his room or to have to wear pull-ups all day ( we called it a diaper) and he chose the pull-ups. When he went in those I told him that it added an extra day to his time wearing them. He still went in them so now he is grounded now and having to the "diaper". He was grounded for his 2 days and yesterday was off groundation had a wonderful day until the evening. All the nieghbors and kids were outside and he chose not to come in and go to the bathroom. Now he is grounded for another 2 days. He says he dosen't feel it untill its too late but then doesn't even tell me it happened. I am at my wits end with this!

Logandsmom

Asked by Logandsmom at 9:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe go back to potty training, He has a timer set and like every 1/2 hour to hour he HAS to sit down on the toilet and try?
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I know that I do not know you, But I will say this (annon.) I had a very bad home life as a child. My father was abusive. So when he was home, I would enjoy playing outside with friends so much that I too didn't want to come in to use the restroom. Mine was due to fear i guess. Didn't want to get yelled at for closing door too hard, time to stay in for the day, ect.
    So I don't know how your home is, but it sounds like maybe the usual ways to get him to stop aren't working. So try HIS way. Ask why he dosen't use toliet?, what would help?, oh and don't use pull ups maybe let him hand wash the underwear when he has acidents.
    Has there been any life changes? re marriage, death in family or pet, a recent move, new sitter?
    maybe someone or something has upset him enough he has regressed.
    GL
    Anonymous

• I would go back to the basics. Tell him you will put a baby potty outside if he can not come inside like a big boy. I am one that only bog boys get to go big boy things. You could try the reward chart. A day of no acciedents he gets to watch a movie(you would take them away in the mean time) 1 week and he gets to go pick out new underwear to wear(I would be having him throw his poopy one s away.
    Good luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Invite a friend to sleepover; the embarassment of the diaper with a friend should be enough pressure.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• HELLO IM GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING RIGHT NOW MY SON IS 8 JUST TURNED 8 IT STARTED WHEN HE WAS 6 HE JUST TELLS ME HE DIDNT WIPE GOOD ENOUGH BUT THAT IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH ANSWER FOR ME ANY MORE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO EITHER I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING TAKEN THINGS AWAY GROUNDED HIM TALKED TO HIM SPANKED HIM DIAPERS EMBARESED HIM NOTHING WORKS I WENT TO THE DR AND ASKED HIM WHAT TO DO HE TOLD ME I CAN TRY SOMETHING IT IS A MIXTURE OF SOMETHING CANT REAMBER WHAT NEED TO ASK HIM AGAIN BUT HE TOLD ME THEY NEED TO GET THERE BOWLS FIXED HOLDING THERE POOP STREATCHES THERE BOWELS AND IT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO NORMAL WHERE THEY KNOW THEY HAVE TO POOP I TRIED TO TELL MY SON IT IS EASIER TO COME IN AND USE THE BATHROOM THAN HAVE TO LOSE OUT DOING WHAT HE WAS DOING AND HAVE TO CHANGE AND OR TO BE GROUNDED THEN HE LOOSES ALL THE WAY AROUND HE THEN STOPS FOR A DAY OR 2 AND BACK AT IT AGAIN SOMETIMES IT GOES ON FOR DAYS THEN SOME DAYS HE IS CLEAN
    2BOYS2GIRLSTIE

Answer by 2BOYS2GIRLSTIE at 7:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2009