smell in the fridge and freezer

Help! We have this produce type smell in our fridge and freezer. It is so bad it makes the ice from the ice maker taste bad so we have been making ice in the deep freeze. We cleaned out the fridge and we don't really keep anything but ice the freezer. We even bleached the fridge and put baking soda in the fridge and freezer but the smell still wont go away. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this smell?

tiffanyv123

Asked by tiffanyv123 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• There are charcoal thingies made to set in the refrigerator to help absorb odor. I've read that the baking soda idea, although widely believed, is a myth. Have you checked your drip pan?- under the refrigerator there should be a pan that you can slide out that should be cleaned from time to time. My refrigerator and freeze develops smells when something has rotted in the produce drawer, but also when the unit was going bad. You should have a refrigerator thermometer attached to one of the shelves to make sure your refrigerator is chilling down to the correct temperature. If you notice the milk going bad sooner than usual, you made need a repair or a new refrigerator. Also, you said you'd cleaned it all, and I assume that means taking all the drawers out and cleaning them and behind and under them. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 10:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Sorry for the multitude of typos in the above post! Yike!

Answer by Bmat at 10:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had this problem with my mini frig. it was cutting itself off at random times and i didnt know it, so my stuff would warm up/thaw out and then refreeze or rechill...it was pretty gross when i figured out what happned and it caused a terrible smell. and i never knew why because i cleaned the thing out on a regular basis. when i finally figured out what it was, i had to throw everything away and exchange my frig.

Also you could check the back of the frig, theyre may be dust or something in the coils....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Cole, Like you put in the bbq pit...A few in each..leave it in there for about a week...it will pull any smell out. (we did it with ours after coming home after the hurricanes that hit us here in La.) Also, After the cole, you can use baking powder..
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• thanks so much for your answers, we pulled out the drawers and everything so all we have left to check is the drip pan and try the charcoal. if that still doesn't cover it i will have to call maintenance (we don't own the home) and have them come make sure its working

tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2009