Anyone know how to do rag curls?

I'm trying to do the old-fashioned rag curls on my 3 girls. I can get curls, but not those picture perfect ringlets. Mine tend to go crazy!! Anyone know any tricks?

funnyface1204

Asked by funnyface1204 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have naturally curly hair but I remember when my mom wanted me to have perfect ringlets, she braided my hair with rags.  First she washed my hair, then combed it out and let it mostly air dry.  Then she braided my hair with rags, using the rag as the middle strand.  My hair was allowed to dry over night and the next day came out in perfect ringlets.  I'll send yu sme pics of how it looked.

Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 12:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• BUMP! my dd's hair does it naturally sorry :P maybe try a small curling iron & turn it sideways in a spiral & spray the heck out of it with hairspray
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I've done curling iron curls but I like the rag curls b/c the girls can sleep on them. That way there isn't so much confusion in the morning! They turn out really cool & funky (all 3 girls have a little natural curl so that helps). I'm just trying to get them smoother & more elegant. Thanks for the tips!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Do bobby pin curls- used to be called "spit curls." put the tip of your finger on the scalp and wind a portion of hair around the fingertip (wet hair or some kind of setting gel) Slide a bobby pin across the curl holding it onto the scalp. This is the way my mother did it and we had ringlets as children. We slept in this- I think mom put a cloth or hairnet over our heads to hold the curl bundles in place while they were setting up, but these days you'd use a hair dryer.

Answer by Bmat at 10:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I forgot to mention. After the curl bundles are dry, you remove the bobby pins and brush out carefully, forming ringlets.

Answer by Bmat at 10:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• ya i used to do the spit curls on my daughter.i have to say it works the best.instead of the bobby pins you get like 5inch long by 1 in wide and slip the fabric through the hair ,but i think the bobby pins work just as good.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My Mom did pin curls on me when I was a kid but I haven't tried them with my girls. How big of a piece of hair do you use for each curl?
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• To give some depth for my dd's hair I braid her hair or put in cornrows. I like it more than curls.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 2:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I do braids as well. I would love to learn to do cornrows or fancier braids, though.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• they have curling irons that have the spiral already on it already I have one all you have to do is put the hair around the spiral
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 1:32 PM on Jun. 21, 2009