• In the Spotlight:

Any event planners out there?

If so, was it hard to enter into the field? Do you have any advice for others entering the field? I am pursuing a certification in event planning, but I'm a little worried about the economy and it's impact on the field.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• my niece went to college for journalism and came out with a degree in events planning after CNN came to the college and told 90% of the females there they were too fat to ever make it on tv. she is currently working for a professional sports team, and has worked for major colleges at recruiting time and the Cavs and Indians. she doesn't make alot of money, but does ok, travels 50% of the time to far away places and is always on call. the last time i talked to her she had worked 19 days in a row out of town and was about in tears. if you are very outgoing, energetic and enjoy being in unfamiliar places by yourself you would probably love the job, the perks are great and the fact she hobnobs with celebrities makes it all worthwhile for now i suppose. i dont think the economy effects her job as much as her ability/inability to make all the scheduled dates

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The key is to make your services worth the cost. I always make a point to save the client more than they spend for my services. I am a master as using the web to lower costs and at recruiting friends and family to do lots of the "work" that goes in to a wedding...

Example - my wedding for 200+ people cost me less than $6000 and we didn't really skimp on anything, we just knew how to use what we had. That's what I bring to each client. I may cost them $1000, but I will save them $1500 or more and lots of headaches...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• **I'm not currently open for new clients because I chose to take time for my other businesses and family, but I am more than willing to help you if you have questions.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009