• In the Spotlight:

How would you feel if....

okay, here is the thing. DF was accepted to college but he would have to live there for 9 months in order to attend. The thing is I dont want him to miss out on going to this college but I dont like that he is going to be so far away. I might be pregnant and me and him talked about that and the fact that he said he wanted to be here for the whole pregnancy. Which he wouldnt be able to do if he goes to this college. He would miss all the appts, everything since he is hours away, taking night classes. If I didnt already have a four and two year old I would move there with him. What would you do? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• I think the fact that he is pursuing college is a great thing, and you don't want to hinder that in any way. I would list the pros and cons of each option that you have--him not going, him going and you staying, you all going....weigh it all out and sit down and talk about it all together and you'll be able to work something out that is best for everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Anon speaks wisely. Going to college will help him for the rest of his life, and it will give him and his future family a better life. I like anon's suggestion of listing pros and cons. Delaying college may not be the way to go, since the longer you are out of school, the harder it is to get back in. On the other hand, since he will have a child (or children) to support, it may be that he'll have to focus more on the present and support the child (or children.) - So college may have to wait, and he may need to get work full-time now, if he hasn't already, to make enough money for the support.

Answer by Bmat at 10:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If those are his kids you talked about, he should not be going off to collage, maybe a trade school or something that's during the day and close to your home. My husband went back to school, he's now an electrician, makes great money.
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 11:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Going to college will help him for the rest of his life. I'm pregnant, and my husband is deployed, he has missed every dr appt and will up until the last trimester. Hoenstly, what important is that he's there for the baby AFTER the pregnancy.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Let him go to college.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would move there with him. What does having other children have to do with it? They can move with you.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 11:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't see why you cannot move there, children and all or how about on line classes?
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Exactly how far away is it? I also don't see what the other children have to do with you not moving there with him.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Women have been going through pregnancies alone throughout history. Email him or call him about the appts so he feels a part of it. Send him the sonograms. Nine months will go by quickly then he won't have to leave again. There are also breaks in college so maybe you can schedule some of the appts during his breaks. Also, college classes can be taken like on T and Th or M and W, leaving a long weekend where he can come home and still be a part of it all if you schedule your appts right. It's all good.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009