I'm a white girl...

that has no beat. lol I need to learn to dance. All my friends are good dancers and I'm scared to even try because I can't even feel the beat. Do you now of any websites that could help? I've tried to youtube it and all i've found was dances to songs. I just want to learn individual moves and learn to feel the beat. I want to go out dancing sometime and not look like a complete idiot! Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Entertainment

• Practice, practice, practice. That's the best advice I can give you. Find some type of dance class in your area that you can attend....any type of dance lessons or dance class will help you in developing some rhythm...and being able to ask an instructor for help is definitely an added bonus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• LOL I am the same white Girl...I know how you feel!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I teach line dancing, and my recommendation is to take a class in some kind of dance or instrument, or join a chorus, so you gain experience around music. I have had a number of students who have no sense of rhythm. If they stick to it, they do develop the sense. And not only take the class but also practice at home. Line dancing, especially a good beginner class, is a good idea because the steps are simple and involve memorizing and moving in different ways. But tap, African, salsa, any of the classic dance forms. etc. would work. One of my favorite stories is the student who took a couple classes from me and said she wasn't going to continue, since she couldn't get it. She did take another session or two and not only mastered the basics but then had enough confidence to start piano lessons. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• A course in aerobics would also help- you move to music, and aerobics does a lot of repetitive moves that help you learn the beat, and then also, you would be gaining strength and balance and coordination. So let me suggest that the first class you take be aerobics. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Those friends of yours who can dance, have you tried asking them to teach you some basic steps you can take to the floor. Once you find the rhythm of the song and you have the basics down that's all you need. I find too many people (but mostly white people) try to hard to re-create what they see their friends doing. BIG MISTAKE! because since they know how to dance and what they're doing trying to copy their every move will only cause dance floor disasters. I've seen it happen. I'm a woman of color and my 11yr old just went to her first school dance about a month ago. At first she came home saying she didn't want to go because all of the other girls in her class knew how to dance and she didn't.

I told her I could teach some basics and that once she was on the dance floor that she could use those move to branch into other dances as she became comfortable with her movements. We turned up the music and I showed her how
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• to keep to the beat of the music and how not to move like a spastic tween hyped up on sugar like so many kids do. I was a chaperone at the dance and once my baby girl got out on the dance floor she had the time of her life. She used some of the moves I showed her and before you knew it she was also finding her own groove. The more she & YOU practice the more you'll improve.

Dancing is about having fun not looking cool - if you happen to look cool while dancing and having fun Great but unless you're doin the funky chicken or the running man no one is gonna care what you're doing only that your having fun and that will in turn cause them to have more fun.

Get out there and dance.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO YOU WANT TO DANCE TO ? I KNOW HOW TO DANCE TO REGGAETON, HIP HOP, AND RETRO/ TECHNO, HOUSE, MERENGUE, BACHATA, PUNTA , CUMBIAS, MMM... SLOW R&B SONGS , THAT HYPHEE MOVEMENT , IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ANY OF THESE ASK AND I'LL SEE HOW I DESCRIBE IT TO YOU ... OMG ! LAST NIGHT AT THE CLUB I SAW YOUNGSTERS "JERKING IT " FOR THE 1ST TIME ! I WAS LIKE " WHOA" !!
    SGMAMI

Answer by SGMAMI at 3:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• have your friends over turn up the music and have them show you moves! Think of the fun everyone could have and of course pull out the drinks!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I think actual dance classes would benefit you more than watching online. That way you can get actual feedback. See if there are any in your area for whatever type of dance you're interested in. Good luck!
    utopiaseas

Answer by utopiaseas at 2:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2009