My 16 month old son, gags himself, he's done this off and on for months, help?

He doesn't do it at any set time, or during any certain activity. At first I thought it was boredom, but he does it when he plays, i thought maybe his stomach was bothering him but how do know? I've looked at questions on here and elsewhere online, and there's tons of reasons people think children do this. What i'm looking for is a way to make him stop.
I've tried smacking his hands, telling him no, gas drops, water, distracting him with stuff and he just won't stop.
I'm tired of cleaning up puke out of car seats , vehicles, off of toys.
This isn't a dire situation, I know, but any suggestions are welcome.

dayas625

Asked by dayas625 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did it when he was a baby, and my 7 month old does it too. The doctor said that nothing was wrong with them, they just did it. It's nasty I know!
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 10:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my son used to do it all the time too, I just tried to catch him && pull his hand out of his mouth as soon as I heard him gagging BEFORE he actually threw up....lol. I guess I was pretty quick b/c I've never had to clean puke up from him doing it...good luck to ya. It's just something they gotta grow out of.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The best thing to do is ignore him. Every time you try to stop him, no matter what you do, you are rewarding the behavior...

Oh! Mommy got all excited when I did that! And she ran over to me! I'll do that again!

Very young children don't care if it's positive attention or negative attention... all they care about is attention. And getting you to react strongtly to something is a wonderful little power trip for them.

It's a very rare child who will gag himself to the point of throwing up. And the throwing up will be so unpleasant that most don't do it again.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Check with more peds. Not saying it is a bad thing, but I think I remember reading that is becomes a habit with some kids because they like the feeling and possibly the control of thier bodies. It is something with the tactile part of the behaviour.
    Anyway, since I can't remember it in it's entirety, go see a child psychologist just for their take on it.
    LovemyQ

Answer by LovemyQ at 5:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2009