Do you think a person with a history of mental illness should be allowed to purchase any gun they want?

I was just watching a special on E! where a former postal worker (with a history of mental illness) purchased a gun at a pawn shop...and went on to murder five people at her former job and then killed herself.

I really think there should be stricter gun laws. I am in no way anti-gun, though, so please don't jump my shit or anything.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 11:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• People who want to murder will find a way to do with with or without stricter gun laws.. The only people it's going to affect is the normal people who just want their right to bear arms.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would think it would depend on the type of mental illness. Nobody likes to be labelled, but if you are schizoid or something and even if you are taking meds, I don't think you should be eligible.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Oh and I want to add, what TYPE of mental illness are you referring to? Depression and Anxiety in those categories? Because if so, theyre are millions of people, including myself, who would be affected by this who would never hurt a fly.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I just don't think it's fair that a mentally unstable person is allowed to purchase whatever firearm they can get their hands on. *I* have a mental illness, I've been hospitalized for it once already...and I wouldn't be offended if someone refused to sell me a firearm because of it. I'm more of a risk to society than "normal" people.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• They didn't say what kind of illness she had, actually : /
    caitxrawks

• I think the bigger problem is WHO will determine what mental illnesses will be excluded and to what degree? Will they require an examination and required form from a mental health professional? They won't give it because it would implicate them in any crime committed by a patient.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:13 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I though it was illegal for the mentally  ill to purchase guns.

Answer by louise2 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• So what would you have had in place? You already have to regester, have a background check and wait several days. Times and such may be differeent in some states If she just went into a pawn shop and took home a gun the same day the pawn shop was unlawful in selling to her. Maybe we need stricter laws on WHERE guns are sold and harsher penalties for selling illegaly.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Like the pp stated, if people want to commit murder they will find a way. Plus what is the old saying, when you outlaw guns, only outlaws with have guns.
    Kristin216

Answer by Kristin216 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• ok i also suffer from anxiety and depression and i also have real bad anger issues.i myself would never have a gun.i do have mace because i was attacked i could probly get anything.we go up to llbean and i tell my husband i am going to buy a gun but i know in reality it is not right....
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2009