Have you ever tweaked a recipe to fit the taste of your family's needs?

Let’s say a person is allergic to milk so you use a non dairy product instead of cheese? Or maybe high blood pressure is an issue so you leave out the salt? Maybe a family member does not like peas so you leave them out of a casserole? Or a new ingredient is release on the market an you substitute add it to your favorite recipe. It doesn’t make the old recipe bad, or useless, it makes the new recipe better and a better fit to your family.

This is what happened to form Christianity. Every day we hear how Christians “stole” traditions from pagans. Jesus came and showed us new ingredients to put into our spiritual dishes. We did not chuck the entire dish or spiritual recipe; we added what Jesus Christ gave us while on earth. Do you understand Jesus did not throw out the old, he just added new ingredients.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• sounds good to me. I always tweak recipes and I do pick and choose which beliefs- Christian, Pagan or otherwise - that I choose to follow
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Right. But It's not like the Roman Catholic Church let people reallze that they were/are celebrating pagan holidays and traditions. Instead they lied about way after Jesus came and said that the pepper in your dish is not actually pepper but seasoned salt. And pepper is BAD.

Seriously, ...you've got to come up with a better explanation then ignorance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• and if it works for you mamak57 Nobody should have a problem with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think that is an interesting idea. I don't necessarily think I agree (maybe in the holiday traditions? but that would be it).

As far as the faith of Christianity goes it is traced back to Genesis. "Abraham believed God and it was accounted to him righteousness" The Jews were never "saved" through the animal sacrifices, they could only cover sin but they could not do away with the sins. We have always been saved though faith in God to provide.

I also have looked into the claims that it was influenced by Mithraism and I totally reject that. Especially since the Messianic prophesies were written way before Jesus was born. And He actually fulfilled them. If anyone is interested in this topic I will post a link below : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• anon :31- I can only laugh at the ignorance of your statement. I know very few Christians (including Catholics) that DO NOT know the origins of the holidays or practices. Seriously you GOT to come up with a better explanation of YOUR ignorance. You now know that the roman Catholic church DOES teach the origins so maybe you can help spread the word that Christians, including the Roman Catholics understand how their religion came about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The Bible says not to add or take away from it. What you are saying directly goes against what true Christians believe. It says what it says and it says it for a reason. You can't just change it and say oh we like it better this way, because that's not what God said to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• "Jesus came and showed us new ingredients to put into our spiritual dishes. We did not chuck the entire dish or spiritual recipe; we added what Jesus Christ gave us while on earth. Do you understand Jesus did not throw out the old, he just added new ingredients. "

actually Jesus wasn't the beginning of the recipe.. the recipe started out as a salad... while the church looked down as saw there were veggies they wanted to put into their bowls.. but they hated the lettuce so throw it away and banned as many as they could from eating so they never had to deal with lettuce again.. but they forgot that lettuce is the base of the salad.. it's what makes a salad a salad.. and all they have left is pieces.. they made up stories about the lettuce so people would fear it.. so people would think they would die a horrible death if they ate the lettuce..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• "The Bible says not to add or take away from it. What you are saying directly goes against what true Christians believe. It says what it says and it says it for a reason. You can't just change it and say oh we like it better this way, because that's not what God said to do."

you misunderstood the op's point completely.. it wasn't talking about taking or adding from the bible.. it was talking about taking and adding from previous religions.. which happened LONG before your bible was written.. perhaps you need to study some history, and comprehension, so your answers don't sound so stupid.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think only JW or a few other Christians actually don't celebrate Christmas or the holidays that were put into Christianity. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, Christianity has many pagan roots so anyone who practices Christianity has roots with pagan practices.
    Anonymous

• anon 36
    They teach it now. because there is no way to escape the truth. But that's not what they taught during the process of trying to rid the world of it's paganism. Look at your history.
    Anonymous