IVF and Abortion: If only God should decide?

Many people use the argument that abortion should not be legal because only God should decide who lives and who dies but what about on the other end of the spectrum? What if God doesn't want someone to have a baby but the person decides to medically intervene and use fertility treatments? And if someone chooses to pursue fertility treatments, how can they then be against embryonic research because there wouldn't be procedures such as IVF without embryonic research. If you are pro-life and believe it is a moral "God's will" issues, how can you then turn around and support medical intervention for fertility issues? If only God should decide who lives and who dies how far does the argument go? ** I am NOT saying God doesn't approve of fertility treatments or that it is against God's will to pursue fertility treatments this is just for the sake of discussion **

psugal

Asked by psugal at 11:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• good question :)
    necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am pro-life && to be honest, I really don't have an opinion on fertility drugs or testing && what-not. I've never dealt with that personally, therefore, have never really sat down to think about it. I am interested to hear other's opinions on it though.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am pro-life, and i dont support fertility treatments...some people were meant to procreate and some were not. Some dont deserve children, and some have enough love in their hearts that God dont want them to have their own, he wants them to love a child who's mother didnt have enough love to give them (adoption). Maybe He thinks that a person who cant have kids would make an excellent adoptive mother....just a thought
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• "If you are pro-life and believe it is a moral "God's will" issues, how can you then turn around and support medical intervention for fertility issues? If only God should decide who lives and who dies how far does the argument go"

if God was the only reason behind peoples opinions of abortion.. and the only reason there was pro-life side.. they would never stand a chance of changing things politically.. breaches the law (seperation of church and state, and freedom of religion).
    this is part of the reason abortion is still legal.. because you can't determine which comes from religious emotions.. or fact.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Mumma28-- you state that women who give up their children don't have enough love to give them. Have you ever known anyone who gave up their child? Is that the reason cited?

What is your explanation for all those women who don't "deserve" babies yet get pregnant anyway? And just what is the criteria for "not deserving" a biological child?

If someone was "meant to procreate"-- doesn't that include utilizing every option available?

And if some don't have enough love in their hearts that God "dont want them to have their own"-- does that mean adopted children are not one's "own?"
    Anonymous

• I'm an atheist, so the whole issue of "God's will" just isn't an issue for me. I totally support abortion both for a woman's right to choose what to do to her body, and because the last thing this world needs is another unwanted child. Children are precious and need to be raised in loving homes by dedicated parents, not tolerated because someone said you had to have one. I totally support late term abortions for medical reasons that are too plentiful to list here. I am totally opposed to aritificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, etc. because I believe that nature has selected certain people to NOT have children and forcing a "sterile" body to bear children only weakens the human genetic pool in ways we haven't even begun to understand. My heart aches for anyone wanting a child who can't birth one (I thought I was one of those people for the longest time), but unfortunately that's how nature works.
    Anonymous

• "if God was the only reason behind peoples opinions of abortion.. and the only reason there was pro-life side.. they would never stand a chance of changing things politically.. breaches the law (seperation of church and state, and freedom of religion).
    this is part of the reason abortion is still legal.. because you can't determine which comes from religious emotions.. or fact."

I agree with you but God being the "only" reason for people to be ProLife was not part of my question - my question was IF someone is ProLife and IF they are ProLife for religious reasons THEN does the same argument hold for medically creating the circumstances for life to begin?

psugal

Answer by psugal at 1:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• To Anon 12:25 I'm interested in your ProChoice-AntiFertility Stance because I don't think I have ever met anyone who has expressed this belief. Could you please expand on this? If I am reading you correctly you feel that it is a woman's choice to end a pregnancy but it shouldn't be a woman's choice to push every option possible to begin a pregnancy - am I reading you correctly?
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 1:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• To Mumma28 - In your opinion, are there any reasons for a woman giving her child up for adoption other than a "mother didnt have enough love to give them"?
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 1:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Interesting question! But I am not against abortion for religious reasons, I am not religious. I am against it because in my eyes it is murder. I think IVF is a wonderful procedure, because it creates life.

However, even though I am personally against abortion, I won't look down a woman for having one because in this day abortion is desensitized by some companies, and therefore don't know what they are really doing.

IMO.

Anonymous