I need resources for behavioral disorders...

My son has been diagnosed with a behavioral disorder. We can't get in with the behavioral specialist/psychologist until the end of October. I have found some info myself, and have a little info from the developmental ped, but if anyone has resources (websites especially) for dealing with behavioral disorders (Episodic Dyscontrol Syndrome/Intermittent Explosive Disorder in particular) I would love to hear your suggestions. I'd also be interested in any support groups that might be out there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is your son and what does he do that made you even get looked at about it? Just curious?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Have you contacted early intervention in your area? They may be able to help with this and it's free. They may also know plenty of resouces. Have you tried googleing parenting resources in your county? Or parenting classes in your county?
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 12:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• mom2l...
    maxsmom: My son has extremely violent outbursts/fits of rage, that are totally unprovoked. He's only 2. Yes, he has NORMAL tantrums, that are controllable and he can be reasoned with during them. An episode is like a complete personality change. He isn't even himself, and NOTHING helps. ALL interventions during them only make it worse. The only thing to do is isolate him in a safe place so he doesn't hurt himself or others until he calms down. Unfortunately, when we're out and this happens, that can be very difficult to do. I'm really hoping to find ways to PREVENT these episodes all together, rather than how to stop them once they start, as we've all ready deduced that isn't really practical.
    Scoobersmom: He's in EI for speech therapy. Its the only thing they approved him for. I can find hardly any info on it at all, much less things in my or surrounding cities.
    Anonymous

• OP- EL didnt have any resources for you on workshops, or parenting centers or anything in the area. Do you live anywhere by Philly? Thats me area, and I know some resources here. If you live anywhere in MD, NJ, NY, DE or PA I might be able to help. Let me know,
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I'm going to talk to his ped at his 2 year check up next week about what we can do while waiting for this appointment. A friend suggested ABA therapy, which I'll look into. We do not live int hat area though, I'm in southeastern VA, so only things in the Richmond, VA, Hampton Roads, Northeastern NC areas would be practical, if its anything more than a sporadic visit. I can, of course, figure out how to get just about anywhere east of the MS for a consult, KWIM? Right now I'm just looking for online resources though, ideas for how to prevent these episodes. We all ready know that intervening DURING them makes it worse, so the best thing is just to put him in his room and let it run its course.
    Anonymous

• I wish you the best of luck. When did you notice these outbursts first? Was there any signs or symptoms earlier on? hugs mommy.. I know times get hard but that's why we are here !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We noticed his behavior becoming a problem around 18 months. He suffered a speech regression around that time as well. Our big concern at the time was his speech. We got him into EI for that and talked to his doctor about it. The regression is what prompted us to take him to the developmental pediatrician, but by the time we actually had the appointment, his behavior was a much bigger concern. He's gone from some hitting and kicking when he didn't get his way or something, to full on violent attacks. These behaviors are NOT tolerated. In NO WAY his he led to believe this is ok. He literally has a whole personality change, then just goes into an absolute fit. It has gotten to that extent over the last 2 months or so, but we've been watching the behaviors become more and more severe, despite our best effort, for many months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jun. 20, 2009