What is your favorite and least favorite "birthday party favor" for your child to drag home from a party?

My little girl will be 3 soon and I'm wondering what sort of small party favor to get. I know how much I hate looking after tiny, junky toys - they get everywhere, break easily, and there are fits when it's time to throw the sad, broken thing out. But candy and food isn't much better.

So... experienced birthday party throwing mommies... what are favorite and least favorite things to see come home with your child?

kaycee14

Asked by kaycee14 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I like it best when they get one or two things that are not complete junk rather than a bag full of junk, and I absolutely hate it when the party favor bags have confetti in them. Bubbles are nice because you can use them up. Balls are also nice, but make sure they are larger sized if you will have very young guests. Play jewlery is nice for little girls, especially if you go with one piece each that is a little bit nicer than the party pack variety. Small cars are great for little boys. I think small cloth bags like you can buy at a craft store would be nicer than plastic bags if you are doing a small party. I'm not that fond of candy either, but animal crackers are always nice.

Have a nice party!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I dislike the small junky toys and candy as well...send home some bubbles or sidewalk chalk or at least something the child can use. One year we had a construction theme b-day and I sent home tape measures in the goodly bag because I knew the kids would be learning to measure things in school the next year. I also sent home paint brushes, safety goggles, carpenters pencils, and a cup shaped like a orange construction road cone. This year theme racing, sent home small racing duffel bags pencils w/ checkered flags, racing tattoos, Sm racing notebooks , racing themed jelly bracelets and a checkered flag

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• some of the more favorable items would be your coloring bks and crayon sets.
    Maybe some mini flash cards, cars for boys, princess for girls...
    I know candy is a good one and a bad one, so maybe some fruit snacks... again you can get
    the ones for boys and ones for girls..
    Also instead of those tiny plastic gift bags, maybe find white paper bags and sponge paint your child's theme on them (prior to the party) and put each childs name on it..
    Now I have seen this done many times, small footies, a pair of footies either a boy kind or a girl kind and some I have seen to be found matching or close to the theme of the party... I thought that was a cute idea...
    I hate the tiny toys and the balloons... you end up finding them all over your house or stepping
    on them..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son is going to be two in September and we're going to give away washable crayons and a coloring book.
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• stay away from the plastic garbage. bubbles, crayons and pencils are all good choices.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I like little cute soaps (kids love to wash their hands with these), stickers to match the party theme (as this can be used to decorate lunch bags). Hugs and Kisses candy with a note that says hugs and kisses and thanks for coming to my party. Mini-bubbles, pencils. See some party themes here and the favors that go with them  http://www.cjkidz.com/Birthday%20Resource%20Page.html

momjs

Answer by momjs at 6:40 PM on Jun. 21, 2009