• In the Spotlight:

Is there something I can do to help?

My son is really breaking out with diaper rash on his pee-pee area. My grandma says its because is urine is extremely acidic. Is there something I can give him to cut down on this? He is 5 1/2 months on cereal, jar foods and ff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't change his diet. Just put some diaper rash cream on it && make sure you don't let him sit too long in a wet diaper. You can also put baby powder on him with each new diaper to help soak up some of the urine && so that it doesn't sit directly on his skin. You can also give him a little water each day.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 1. If it is a rash from acidity, you can us antiacid meds on it. For example Malox or Milk of Magnesia, I know these are not typical uses for those products, but I use them on my kiddo's butts when they have a stomach bug to keep what I acid A$* under control. It won't hurt to try.

2. If you try that and it doesn't work, you need to take him to the doctor, because it is 100% very common for little boys to get yeast infections externally in that area....I have 3 boys and all have had at least one. The doc can give you a script cream to get rid of it if it is yeast.
    mamatware

Answer by mamatware at 11:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Mine has lots of rolls in that area and there are some times that is gets red and irritated. it seems like he pees and sweats and it just gets caught in the rolls... every time i change his diaper, i let him "air out" separate any skin that is stuck together or might still be a bit damp. Just beware of leftover pee that may come from the cold air hitting him.... lol
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009