Is 89 too old to drive?

Sorry if this question doesn't really belong in politics and current events, but there really isn't a logical place for me to post it. I would just like opinions as to whether in general most people think that 89 is too old to drive. I know that there are wide differences in the capabilities of people this age, so just for the sake of argument, let's limit it to those who are functioning well for their age. Does a well functioning 89 year old still have the skills to really be a safe driver?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, if they are in good health.  I'm much more worried about young teen drivers or young adult maies, who drive faster and much more dangerously.  The auto insurance companies certainly agree!

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• No, and i think i know what your talking about. Is it the case in MA where this 89 year old killed a 4 year old girl? I think there should be an age cut off when it comes to driving. And 89 year old does not belong on the road. My mother works for MBTA and they have a program for senior citizens for them to be picked up and be taken anywhere they have to go. They need to sign up for that and get away from driving.
    Anonymous

• at times YES. those who are past the age of 80 should really try to limit their driving. Perhaps using public transportation; I know it's not always convenient but it's loads safer. Perhaps they could also ask younger friends, relatives and even neighbors to drive them to the grocery store, church, and to appointments at the doctors office, cuz face it those are the places they'll need to get to the most. Occasionally they'll have a social event to attend.

In my place of worship those who are younger drivers volunteer to bring the older non-drivers back and forth to our bible meetings, dr's appointments, and other places. I think it's a loving provision especially because it let's those know that just because they are at an age we're they perhaps shouldn't be driving that they should stay shut up in the house.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I meant to say *shouldn't stay shut up in the house* I really wish CM had a feature which let you edit your post after you've hit the answer button.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• As long as their eye sight and reflexes are good I see no reason why not. I do however think people of all ages should have to take a reflex test not just an eye sight test. I have seen 40 year olds that do not have the reflexes of some 89 year olds.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Statistics show younger drivers are more dangerous.

I don't think there should be a cut off age. I do think driver testing would be a good idea and my 86 yr old Mamo agrees.

Mamo still runs her and my Granddaddy's business. She is there from 6"30 to 5 M-F and from 6:30 to Noon on Sat. She is more "with it" than a lot of people much younger than she is. She has NEVER been in a traffic accident it has been probably 20 yrs since she got a ticket and she doesn't even need glasses. She lives in a small town with no public transportation. It would be silly to take her license just because she is old. Heck, she sometimes delivers Meals on Wheels!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It all depends on the physical and mental health of the driver.

In Britain, a driving licence is valid until age 70.  After the age of 70, it must be renewed every three years, provided you remain fit to drive. However, you must declare any health problems which might make you unfit to drive at any time and not just when applying for a licence.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think it should be determined by examining each person's abilities. My stepmother is 90 and is very active and has the response of a youger person. Mombalinda
    mombalinda

Answer by mombalinda at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• That's a grey area for me. I think that past a certain age (maybe 70), they need to administer yearly driving tests, just like a 16 year old would take. I have no issues with an older person driving, but the simple facts are that reaction times are slowed by aging and eyesight becomes and issue. Also, so many older people are so drugged up that who knows what the hell that's doing to them! I think that if they pass a driving test and eye test every year, they should be allowed to keep their license.
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think once someone is uncomfortable going at least the speed limit, they need to get off the road. If their reflexes/eyesight are bad enough that they have to do 35mph in a 55, they obviously shouldn't be behind the wheel anyway; and it gives other drivers road rage, which in turn makes the other driver more of a risk.

It also depends on the person's capabilities on an individual basis... I have a neighbor who is 84 who drives perfectly well; meanwhile my grandmother got Alzheimer's at 66 years old and wasn't safe to drive.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009