Weight or wait

My dd is 7. She has always had a "soft" look. She dances for exercize. She also loves food. She is certainly not overweight but as a parent I see the potential for her to become that way. At what age do you talk about calorie intake?

MommyId

Asked by MommyId at 12:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think at 7 you talk about making healthy choices, but not necessarily calorie restriction. You make sure she has primarily healthy options available for meals and snacks. You involve her in planning, shopping, and preparing meals. You also encourage her to excersize and do fun family activities together.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• if you only have healthy choices in the house then that is all she will eat. I wouldn't worry about discussing calorie intake until she is a lot older. Right now you are the one who can control what she eats because you are the one who does the shopping. Buy more fresh fruits and veggies and don't drown them in creams, dressings and sauces
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think right now you are training her as to how to eat as she grows and when she is an adult she will likely eat that way too.

I know this all too well, as a child I was VERY slender....my mother allowed me to eat whatever, we ate little debbie cakes, fast food, etc. It caught up with me after I had my babies, now I am trying desperatly to change my eating habits.

So start now, by helping her love to eat healthy.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If you are really worried about her health try going to see a dietician(nutritionist), who might help you in what and how often to feed your child. Food intake should equal the amount of exercise your daughter does. Dancing is fantastic you can also try gymnastics as a form of exercise, there's lots of movement in that sport as well. Healthy food choices, a good amount of exercise and a moderate amount of junk food is just good healthy living.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think if you bring it up now, she'll only develop an insecurity about her body. When I was 12, I was a perfectly normal and healthy weight but my mom put me on a diet, and it had the reverse effect. I have been insecure with my body ever since, and during my teenage years, I was convinced that due to my weight I would never be "good enough" for my mother.

Keep to healthy choices and portions for the entire family. Don't make her feel singled out, and keep up with the exercise. My kids will start sports and physical activities as soon as they are old enough, and they will keep with it through high school. Dancing is great, but can she add maybe soccer? All the running would be excellent. Or softball?
    risonski

Answer by risonski at 12:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my daughter is 4 and has that "soft" look at the moment she is very proud of it and calls herself "la gordita linda de mami" or brags "I'm fat" which is somewhat cute and not....
    What I've decided to do is to keep the choices available at home healthy with some laxity at times (birthdays, special treats etc.) and to not make a big deal about it.
    I want her to stay confident and comfortable and besides there is a good chance that she will grow into her body (she does it for small spurts now and again) and there is also the factor that this is her body type -- genetically she is not now (or ever) going to be the long lean type. She is the cuddly round type (she has my mom's body mostly) and I want her to be just as proud of her curves as others may be of their angles. As long as she's strong and healthy and is making pretty good choices about food and movement, I'm cool with that.

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Never. You can talk about foods that will give her more energy to play and run fast. You can keep junk foods out of the house. You must set a great example by living a healthy lifestyle. Make healthy and delicious meals for the family with lots of vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Have fruits for dessert. Take your daughter to a farmers market and let her pick what to buy; the first time I did this with my then 6 year old, she picked purple broccoli, because she thought it was the funniest food ever; it turned out to be really yummy, butttery tasting broccoli and has become one of our favorite summer foods.
    Use "dips" for healthy snacks: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & marinara sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009