Question for C-section mommies

So, with my first, when we decided that a c-section would be necessary, I went in later that day and had it done.

Now that I am on my second pregnancy, I am going to schedule my c-section in advance. I guess my main question here is to those that have had a scheduled c-section, how long before your EDD did they do the c-section? I meant to ask my doctor at my last appointment and forgot. :) Any answers would be great! Just looking for an idea of when it might happen (I am in no way trying to rush things)

Skye-Angel

Asked by Skye-Angel at 12:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first son was via emergency c-section. With my second, my EDD was May 30 with my scheduled C-section on May 22 however, I went into labor May 15 and he was delivered via c-section that day.

My doc said he tries to wait as long as possible but waiting until the 40th week is risky, so he does them a week before that. He also said that c-section babies born 38 weeks or earlier via c-section have a 400% chance of having respiratory problems and usually end up in NICU so they don't generally perform them before 39 weeks if they can help it.

Hope this helps.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 38 wks for my 2nd, 37 wks for my 3rd.

BUT, I should mention that with #2, I was already in labor when I reached the hospital (and didn't know it because of all the scare tissue from the 1st) & once they got me opened up they discovered I'd already begun to rupture on my previous uterine incision --- which is why my 3rd section was scheduled earlier ---- to prevent any possibility of me going into labor. Didn't work, though --- when I showed up at 37 wks for that section, I was already in labor again, too.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• This does help :) was really just trying to get a general idea.. I will be 33 weeks at my next appointment, so I will ask him then when we will set things up..

Thanks again! :)
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 12:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• im at 33 weeks now and my dr still isnt schedualling the c section cuz i want to try for a vbac if i can, but she said IF we schedual it we will schedual it for the 24th and my edd is the 31st. good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My first was a emergancy c-sec. My past 2 were planned. I delivered #2 at 38 wks due to health issues. and #3 at 39 weeks because that preg was normal and I felt great. It all depends on you, your doc, and the pregnancy!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 10:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009