Does your family eat at the dinner table?

I saw a commerical the other day that pointed out that kids who sat at the dinner table with family did better in school.I got interested and began doing some research and found a list of other positive effects. So tell me does your family eat at the dinner table? What do you guys talk about? What do you feel you gain from it?
Hope everyone's having an awesome Friday.I look forward to your answers.God Bless.

InGodsTime

Asked by InGodsTime at 12:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We don't because we don't have a table............and right now the funds aren't available to get one.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We don't have a dinner table either. No dining room.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We almost always eat at the dinner table together. My boys are just little. But i think it helps with a lot of things. We talk about our favorite foods and what happend during the day. We talk about good table manners and what we want to do tomorrow. and lots of other things too. My boys are 4 and 3.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• But now i'm curious. could you provide a link or something about what the other positive effects are?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes, now that our toddler is eating at the same time and the same foods that we eat, we sit down at the table for dinner every night. We usually talk about our day, or what we're eating, where the food came from, how it was cooked, etc., or we just tell stories. It's a way to connect at the end of the day, to reflect, and laugh together. We really enjoy it.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We do every single night unless we are out and about and grab something quick. The kids help set the table, we say a prayer (my middle child 5 usually always says it), then we talk about our day. When we bought out first home we didn't have a dining room or a table so we sat in the living room around the coffee table. So to say they don't because they don't have a kitchen table is bs, you can always find a way to come together. When we bought our new home I made a point of finding one with a dining room and the first thing we bought was a kitchen table.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• "But now i'm curious. could you provide a link or something about what the other positive effects are? "

Certainly!
    http://parenting.families.com/blog/why-families-should-eat-dinner-together
    http://casafamilyday.org/familyday/
    http://www.parentdish.com/2009/04/14/tv-vs-family-meal/
    http://www.articlesbase.com/parenting-articles/bring-family-values-back-to-the-dinner-table-968395.html

I hope this helps.If you'd like more links on the subject just let me know.
    InGodsTime

Answer by InGodsTime at 1:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have a table but no chairs so for now we'll eat at the coffee table.lol. We're having crocpot beef stroganoff over egg noodles and mashed potatoes.We've never done this before...sad I know but I'm looking forward to making this a family tradition.Anyone wanna join me?
    InGodsTime

Answer by InGodsTime at 1:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We always eat at the table...but I think the point is eating together rather than where. Thanks for the links...gonna go check them out...
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 1:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Everyday! it's our special family time where we talk about our day and other good stuff. Now while the kids are out and i am not working at the moment, we have lunch together too. It's very important to spend time with the whole family and equally important to get the kids involved with preparing meals, clean up, etc.
    eaglemama2

Answer by eaglemama2 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009