Need help with 9 year old son who answers every question I don't know, is this normal.

I have a 9 yr old son he always answer I don't know even if I ask if he's hungry he doesn't know. This is very annoying to me I really feel like something is wrong with him. What shall I do.

determinedmomma

Asked by determinedmomma at 12:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I do that now. Usually I am not paying attention to what the person says so I just automatically answer "I don't know".
    Anonymous

• I think it's about as normal as "why?" I may be wrong but I think he's pretty normal.. You may want to talk to his pediatrician..
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It does sound normal. He's a pre-teen and they have attitude and don't think much about their parents. (generalizing here.)

Answer by Bmat at 12:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• He's normal. My nephew has been like that for a while . Don't play into it. My SIL just responds " well let me know when you do know" the less she nags him for an answer the more likely she'll get one.
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 1:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It is very normal. Very annoying but very normal. 3 of my 4 boys are tweens (9,11,and 12) and no one seems to know anything all of a sudden.
    jill.a.k.a.mom

Answer by jill.a.k.a.mom at 1:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• This makes me laugh! Sometimes my husband does this too. You have a couple of options. Make clear that IDK is not an acceptable answer, or tell the child that you will decide for him. Or, you could IDK him back, and see how long it takes him to get annoyed.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with him other than being a 9 year old boy that is probably preoccupied with other things.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• OMG, The other famous answer:"You know, the usual.."
    My son is ten and does the IDK, "You know, the usual", and asked what he's doing in the next room,"Nothing"(When it's clearly obviously SOMETHING!

Hang in there and stay strong mama!!!

Signed,
    "Mom of a tween"
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My son gave me that same answer from the time he was about 8. He is now 18 and I still get IDK from time to time. When he gives an actual answer I always look at him and say "See that wasn't so hard was it?" He grins, I think they do it just to drive us crazy!
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Thank you all for your replies, I just thought it was strange that this kid does not even know if he's hungry. I have 2 other kids 18 & 20 and they never went through this stage.
    determinedmomma

Answer by determinedmomma at 1:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2009