Breastfeeding?

Okay i know this is an odd question, but if i went from engorged to flat I can still pump right? Now my breast are flat and I heard that you have to pump to encourge them, is that true. I know thisis an odd question but if you have experience in this please give me your adive thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Flat does NOT equal empty. It usually means that your supply has regulated to meet the needs of your baby, and is typically a good sign. If you need to pump, go ahead.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Usually after the initial engorgement, you won't feel as full. When I BF my kids, I would only feel "full" right before they would eat. If baby is eating & gaining weight, you don't need to pump to "encourage" your breasts to produce more. It is a supply & demand system--baby demands & your body will supply. If you need to pump to freeze milk or to leave your baby, then go ahead but it isn't something you need to do.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree with what the first said. You want to try and avod engorgment because that can cause an infection or a clogged milk duct. Usually after 3 months or so your supply is more regulated and you tend not to become engorged easily, but the first few months your body produces two or three times the amount your baby needs that can cause engorgement. So, just because your boobs feel flat does not mean they are empty, there probably is plenty of milk in there. You can pump if you want, but just know that your baby gets more milk from you than a pump will.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I pump and I'm not engorged but I still have milk.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Also I want to add that judging your milk supply based on how much you can pump is not accurate. Babies are more efficient then a pump! It seems this can never be stressed enough!
    AmandaQuu

Answer by AmandaQuu at 1:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Keep BF and pumping...the milk is there. I went flat a while ago and I'm 26 weeks pregnant right now and I still BF. My son (10 months) is A okay and is right where he needs to be. Congratulations and keep up the great work!
    Back2BackMommy

Answer by Back2BackMommy at 2:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Pump and freeze some milk and have a night out with your honey!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ps...
    AmandaQuu is right...I wasn't able to pump as much when I got pregnant again (at about 3 months in to the pregnancy)...but like I said before my son is growing really well, so I know he's getting what he needs.
    Back2BackMommy

Answer by Back2BackMommy at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009