What do YOU do when your LO just WON'T listen because they don't feel like it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I remove them from the situation, or put them in timeout. or if push comes to shove they get a spanking.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I put them in time out.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I take away whatever is distracting them from listening so they have no choice.

Answer by Bmat at 12:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I should add that my LO's are preschool aged. But I start giving spankings at about a year and a half or so.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I don't believe in spanking so that's out. You didn't give an example so have to think in general terms. Have you had hearing testing done? Perhaps the child cannot hear. Sometimes you have to make things a game with little ones. Maybe what you are saying is too adult for the child to comprehend what you want from him/her. If you are yelling, the child might tune you out or you could be hurting the child's ears. There are many reasons kids do this and many solutions to the problem.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If I call her to me and she wont listen I usually just go and get her and tell her that that wasn't very nice, most of the times she'll say sorry.. If she does somethiing really bad I'll put her in time out for 2 mintues which is like the worst punishment for her.. if it's just little things I only redirect her.
    We tried spanking a while ago it never worked on her and it resulted in her trying to spank us if we wouldn't listen to her commands lol.. I was kinda shocked about the outcome and after I gave it some thought we decided not to teach dd that if you want something it's ok to use violence..
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 2:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• In addition to what the previous ladies said (I wouldn't spank though), children of that age are just like that. That is a normal part of their development, and even peds will agree. Get down on their level and speak in short sentences what you want them to do.

It works well to get my son to stop running, instead of saying "No running" I say "Walk". He listens better because there is less to process and he doenst get a s distracted.
    LovemyQ

Answer by LovemyQ at 5:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2009