Do you have a vegetable garden this year?

This was our first year to plant a small garden. It is actually doing very well. The only thing that we had problems with was the onions died and the rabbits ate the ends off the cantelopes. But other than that we have gotten somegood vegetables so far, and the one particular the i am very happy with is the corn. we had somelast night and it was so good. It was so sweet. Better than when i buy it at the store. So does anyone have a garden that you would like to rave about also? Go ahead

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ohhhhhh! * drool * corn fresh from the garden- nothing like it! Very nice!
    No, I don't have a garden. I quit it when I started my job and found I couldn't keep up with it, and now we have rabbits, groundhogs, deer, I'm afraid we'd need some serious fencing to protect what I planted, and I used to plant double anyway because of the bugs.

Answer by Bmat at 12:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Oh, I'm so jealous! I wish that we could have a garden. We rent, and while we do have a backyard, our landlord won't allow us to plant anything, and plus I don't think that we get enough sun back there anyway. However, I am planning on planting a small herb garden in some pots though, maybe a couple small tomato plants too.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 12:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yes i have
    tomatoes
    potatoes
    onions
    carrots
    cabbage
    and corn

there is nothing like a home grown tomato! YUM!
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes! I have my first garden growing this year.

I have squash (which are starting to bear fruit!), red peppers (starting to bear also), 6 plum tomato plants, 1 hybrid tomato plant, and 3 other tomato plants, radishes, beets, okra, basil, sage, 1 measly carrot, lettuce, lots of mint, some wild garlic, and raspberries which probably wont' bear fruit this year. I am hoping to buy some lavendar and other herbs to make "hot socks" for Christmas for everyone.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 1:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Ok, you must be in the south to be having corn already Yummo! I am in Ohio, the rule is knee high by the fouth of July. So we have a ways to go. As for your rabbit trouble, sprinkle talcum powder on the plants and they will leave it alone. Glad you are enjoying the fruits of your labor. Nothing as satisfying as picking and eating things you grew yourself. I am weeding and waiting at this point. Good luck!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• no, i haven't had a garden in 4 years and it is killing me! i have herbs in pots though and am enjoying them tremendously.
    next year, i plan on having a huge garden and i tend to plant way too much.
    sharing the garden veggies is a great way to make new friends and get to know neighbors, though.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 1:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We do! Our zucchini is blooming & we have little heads of broccoli. We also planted: watermelon, pumpkin, 2 types of hot peppers (for canning salsa) tomatos, collard greens, okra, green beans, green peppers, cucumbers. We also have raspberries, blackberries and a ton of blueberries. Nothing is ready to pick but we're getting there.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have a container garden (we are military so we don't plant a lot of real gardens lol) and I have patio tomatoes, red hot cherry peppers, lemon cucumbers, and spearmint. I love fresh mint. The tomatoes are just starting to bloom, and the peppers and cucumbers are already forming. The spearmint of course grows like crazy lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We built 5 raised garden beds this year. We have tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, carrots, cucumbers, peas, green beans, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, and cantelope growing. We're new at this so we're just learning. So far we've eaten all the spinach, and some dumb animal came by last night and ate all of our 3 kinds of lettuce, 4 of our strawberry plants, and uprooted our carrots. Everytime it looks like we're about to get a ripe rasperry in a day or two it disappears. So, it's not going well for us so far. We need to build a fence, and I hope that helps.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• asyoulikeit, I thought I was planting small tomato plants and they have taken over my entire patio!  LOL.  Container garden.  Tomatoes, zucchini, radishes, green onions, herbs, lemons, grapes, pineapple, two kinds of peppers (serrano and Anaheim). 

BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 3:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009