what is the whole process of being induced while pregant?

lateshia2202

Asked by lateshia2202 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They induce you through an IV drop. When I was schedule to be induced, I got to the hospital at 7:45am and they checked everything to make sure the baby was fine and I was ready to be induced, so they started the IV at around 9:30am. Some people say it hurts, but I don't think it does. Then about 12:00, they broke my water.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 12:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I hope you do a lot of research about intervention before you decide to get induced. It increases your chances of further complications.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree with outstandinglove. FTM are especially prone to this...50% end up having a c-section. When I was induced I went in atnd at 2pm (Tuesday) had cervadil put into the vagina on the cervix. It was like a paper with the chemicals on it. My water broke at 12am (Wednesday) and at 2am they started me on pitocin. By 2pm I was begging for an epidural (i swear to God, I am not making it up, but if I had been "allowed" to walk around I woudn't have been in pain because when I sat up for the epi it was 100* better than laying on my back.). At 4pm I was wheeled in for a c-section.

PLEASE research this. Inductions and c-sections do not make us less moms but they DO increase complications and should only be used for true medical need. Anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't researched it.

Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's Guide to A Better Birth
    Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth
    These are both excellent books cont...
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Henci Goer's book had more stats though. She really breaks down common myths surounding childbirth and will show you studies and the numbers. It's excellent.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I went to my 39wk appt and was sent straight to the hospital due to my Blood Pressure. That night they insert a tampon like thing with cervidil. that stayed in for 12 hours. They removed it and started the pitocin at 7am. At 9am they broke my water. At 930 I was having hard core contractions less than 2 mins apart, I too begged for the epidural. At 1200 I told the nurse I was experiencing lots of pressure. She checked me and informed me I was ready to push. I pushed for about 15 minutes, was told to stop pushing (they couldn't find the doc) When the doc walked in I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl after 3 pushes. That was at 12:51. So less than 6 hours. That was my first pregnancy. I'm currently almost 25 weeks preggo with baby number 2 ...I'm hoping my BP stays low so I can go natural...but it is already on the climb.
    Cortnye

Answer by Cortnye at 2:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• it really depends on how your drs do things. my dr broke my water. he then said that if i dono't start progressing he'll do the IV drip well he had to but my IV was bent and it never flowed and my labor started on it's on. it actually started dripping after my daughter was born. some drs will use cervical gel or do AROM (artifical rupture of membranes) or pitocin. it's all on their procedure
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my third was an induction (6weeks unproductive labour) got there they started the IV meds, then broke my water, epidural and out she came.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009