St. John's Wort..Yay or Nay?

do you take this herb and it seems to help? or if you don't, is there a reason? and what do you take instead?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• Yay! My mom takes that and I used to in high school when I needed to calm down (I have anxiety) and it works very well! It's also cheap! It just makes you feel calm!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• a little bit of help but not like an antidepressant like paxil-used SAMME
    Anonymous

• I tried to do something more natural than antidepressants. I didn't have the same results from this that I did from Zoloft. I would say try it for a couple of months and see if your mood improves. It might, everyone is different and different things work for different people. If I were you I would try that first.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I used to work at a health food store, i always eyed Sam-me and I heard it works pretty well...what exactly is it? my knowledge is a little dry, I havent studied herbs sinc getting fired lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It can help with mild depression. It does make you very sensitive to sunlight and is not a replacement for therapy

Answer by rkoloms at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I guess it really depends on your chemistry. Drs swore i needed hard anti-depressants, when all i needed was exercise, better dieet and some high quality st johns wort( i got mine from my husbands company).

I was very gitty and happy.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It helps me when I just need a small pick up, but if I'm depressed it doesn't work. They're saying now that if you have any kind of anixety issues St.John's is one of the worst things you can take actually, so I'm not going to take it anymore.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2009