How do I get my 3 yr old to quit jumping off things

It is driving me crazy every time I turn around he is jumping off of the bed coffee tables any thing he can climb, I have spanked him, consitantly put him in time out and explained to him strictly four times Just Yesterday!!!, I am out of ideas I don't know what else to do to get him to understand he can get hert from that and it is unexceptable to do it.

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 1:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get a tranpoline that helped with my son i told him that jumping is only for the trampoline
    Steph925

Answer by Steph925 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I wish I new because I have the same problem! Both my twins (3 yrs old) are constantly jumping off EVERYTHING!!!! The couch, beds, tables, chairs, you name it, they've tried it! I'll be keeping an eye on this post to see if I can get some ideas too!
    mauspond

Answer by mauspond at 3:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Get his energy out where he CAN jump. Re-direct his jumping energy instead of just telling him what can't jump on.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Take him to the park or some other outlet for all that energy, if you notice there is a lot of sugar in his food buy healtheir choices. Kids are sweet enough that they don't need extra sugar. Take away toys every time he jumps,or a movie or whatever he is most attached to
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 9:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I will also be watching this post ,as my son does the same...I see broken bones and/or things in my future ! Either that or my son is gonna be a stuntman lol!
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Sounds like too much energy or sensory seeking! Try to find another sensory activity to sort of balance him out.
    Anonymous

• Jumping around is good for them- I forget the term, but our school director told me that the movement stimulates brain development. Go for the trampoline. I got mine the small one with the handle he can hold on to. As a side note- I got it AFTER he jumped off his friends bed and split his head open (5 stitches).
    Anonymous

• We got a trampoline also. We just got one of the small ones though like people use to exercise with. My twin daughters are 4 and they were jumping off the furniture too. They jumped off their beds. I didn't know what else to do. I would put them in time-out and take away stuff and nothing worked but now that they have somewhere to jump they are much better. We got ours at a garage sale so it wasn't very expensive. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    KitKat3

Answer by KitKat3 at 7:36 PM on Jun. 22, 2009