Do you know where the name Christian came from?

I read a post, about why Pagan shouldn't be used as a broad term (used to describe any non-Christian).. it's offensive to Pagans to be grouped as such, since it doesn't truly define them. Historically the term was used by Christians as a derogatory term.
After reading an anon. reply... about why should a Pagan care, because that's the definition (when it's truly not).. I pointed out the reason behind why it started. I will post what the term Christian originally started as well as Pagan, below. They aren't nice terms originally. A Christian however has adopted the term, and has been able to reuse the definition in a dictionary.. Pagans were not given the same rights until recently you can find updated dictionary definitions online. They have a right to be mad that it took so long to fix, especially since it's not fixed in every dictionary.

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 1:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anyone with half a brain knows that Atheists don't believe in God,and Pagans worship more than one God.

Really? Which godS do the Buddhists worship? How bout the Zoroastrians? Anyone with half a brain knows generalizations are stupid and dangerous.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You have a choice you can be mad about it--or can find something useful to be mad about. LOL
    Anonymous

• CHRISTIAN comes from Latin 'christanius' as does 'cretin', 'cretan' and 'cretian'. The term was a derogatory word. Meaning little Messiah.. it was meant to be used to poke fun of Jesus's followers.

PAGAN:  Some believe that in the early Roman Empire, "paganus" came to mean "civilian" as opposed to "military." Christians often called themselves "miles Christi" (Soldiers of Christ). The non-Christians became "pagani" -- non-soldiers or civilians. By the third century CE, its meaning evolved to include all non-Christians. Eventually, it became an evil term that implied the possibility of Satan worship.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• "You have a choice you can be mad about it--or can find something useful to be mad about. LOL "

anon.. I have a right to see the injustice of it.. and you have the right to be an obnoxious troll.. that obviously could care less if they found some knowledge or just remain ignorant.

Obviously you've choose to remain an ignorant troll.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• According to Acts 11:26, Christians were first called that by the non-Christian population at Antioch. Originally,it may have been a term of derision. Eventually,however, Christians used it of themselves as a name of honor,not of shame. Prior to their adoption of the name, the Christians called themselves believers,brothers, or saints,names which continue to be used.

I will be honest, I got that paragraph out of my Bible Dictionary,and I honestly do not know if there were Pagans in Antioch,or not. I haven't studied up on the roots of paganism, or Antioch in depth. But, if anyone has, and would like to share, that's great,also. I just know what the word of God tells me,because that is all that I'm interested in studying. Anything else just doesn't interest me in the least.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• * stvmen88: I believe that's my point.. the Christians adopted the phrase pretty much from the beginning, spinning the original definition, into something glorious..
    yet it was Christians that kept the Pagan term in the dictionary derogatory. And now that Pagans want to do what the Christians did centuries ago.. they get ridiculed for it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I guess Christians are just better at getting the word out and taking insults and wearing them with pride. the Roman in Roman Catholic started out as an insult as well. It is actually the Latin rite.
    Anonymous

• hazeldove, I have no idea about all that, but I think,and please, don't take it the wrong way, I mean nothing derogatory towards you or any pagans, but why get all bent out of shape over something that happened centuries ago. As Christians, we don't go around bashing the Jewish people because they are the one's who condemned Jesus to death. If how you said it happened is true, then it's all done and over with now,and there's no sense in crying over spilled milk. I'm sorry,and as I said,I'm not trying to stir up a problem,it's just how I see it.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes I do know the history of the word Christian. It was orginally used as a derogatory word but it was changed from bad to good ( something God does often) and yet now adays there are still people out there that use the word christian in a hateful way.
    The word Pagan was used early on in the bible to seperate believers from the unbelievers and yes back then it meant they worshipped other gods . You guys still do... so the meaning really has not changed.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have heard that it comes from the Greek word "Christos" referring to the soul or the higher self. In spiritual circles it is believed that we ALL have a christos or "christ conciousness". It was given as a title to enlightened spiritual leaders.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009