Did anyone have insomnia during pregnancy?

About 2 nights a week i am overcome with bouts of insomnia where my body and mind will not shut off. I stay up ALL night and feel terrible like I have a cold the next day. I know sleep is VERY important while pregnant... I just dont know what to do to turn my mind and body completely off and get some sleep!

WalkerBaby1

Asked by WalkerBaby1 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was up a lot during the night when I was pregnant too. Not only was I uncomfortable in one position for more than a few hours, but I always had to get up and go to the bathroom, or I got up because I was hungry!! It makes sense that a lot of things are running through your mind right now and it's hard to shut it off. Have you done anything like yoga? I used to do some relaxing breathing right before I laid down (or if I woke up later in the night), or get up and drink some tea or milk, or eat an apple. Maybe it would help if you journaled your thoughts when you woke up, kind of get it out of your system and then maybe you could go back to sleep easier. Are you able to take naps during the day? Just try different things till you find what works for you, because you are right, you need that sleep right now. Good luck!!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had it pretty bad towards the end of my pg. I took Tylenol PM for the last week or so (midwives said it was ok). I think it's our body preparing us to be up at all hours once the baby comes (which you will be, trust me).
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I am only 5 weeks and i have insomnia really bad i get about 5 hours a night i would say take tylenol p.m and try sleeping with a couple of pillows. GOOD LUCK
    mirclebaby

Answer by mirclebaby at 1:19 AM on Jun. 25, 2009