What is a good way to start a conversation with a long lost grown child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• My dad left when I was 4 and now i'm 20. We just started talking a month ago. And it's hard at first. I didn't say much I let him do all the talking. It gets alot better.  But just ask him/her what they like to do stuff like that. It's tuff the first few phone calls but then after that you will have alot to talk about. GL and congrats!

pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 1:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It all depends on the circumstances that lead to his/her departure from your life. Provide more info on circumstances so we can give you sound advice. It will be hard because a child away from a parent for whatever reason will have some issues to deal with before any form of meaningful conversation can take place.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 1:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Hello, how are you? would be a good start. Talk to him/her like any other person. Show an interest in what has been going on in his/her life all this time. Find out interests and hobbies he/she likes. It's not that hard. I found my grandson after 15 yrs and we've not stopped talking since last yr when we met. My son quit talking to me about ten years ago. There was a night I got him to talk to me but we kept it general (movies, cars, tattoos and whatever else interested him). I kept it away from anything personal in case he got his panties in a twist again. He's still mad I left his abusive dad.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009