Stage 3 = Vomiting??

My 1 yr old son started stage 3 last week. Yesterday my mom took care of him and fed him puree'd food. She said the baby threw up after and she blamed it on the small chunks in the food. (This is what my mom said). Well last night he ate his food great! (no chunks). Today he threw up after I fed him half of his food. (had small pieces of banana, which he swallowed whole) My mother swears its the stage 3 food that's making him vomit.

Now I need to include that my mother mixed in some old papaya in his food (she thought it was carrots!) I was going to toss these frozen papaya cubes but didn't get a chance and saw the empty ziploc that had "papaya" written on it. (My mother said she just went by the fact that I said to mix his food with 3 cubes and looked for a bag with 3 cubes)

So is it the stage 3 food that made him vomit? or yesterday's lunch with papaya ? He hasn't been his happy self today :(

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may have a gastro-intestinal virus. Jarred babyfood tastes awful and you never really know what is in it. He should be able to eat just about everything at this age. Here is some of what we fed our one year old: hummus mashed with a hard boiled egg, cooked beans, avocado chunks, diced tofu, a little bit of cheese, whole grain pasta yogurt mixed with fruit, berries, frozen peas, zucchini.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If the papaya was "old" it may have been just spoiled enough to upset his tummy. Or maybe at the times he threw up, he may have eaten too much or too fast and thats what caused it. There are may reasons a toddler can throw up. If he has no fever then I wouldnt worry too much, just keep an eye on him. If he keeps throwing up, take him to the Dr. Good Luck!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• He is probably swallowing those stupid chunks whole and has a weak gag reflex. Stop with stage 3 and just give him real food.

Just let him eat what you're eating. If the vomiting continues and he's not acting like himself, call the pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Maybe it was the old papaya. If he keeps throwing up call the doctor.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 3:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009