Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband is leaving me and I don't know what to do!

I have an $800 rent, plus a $300 car note plus electric, water, phone, insurance. I only make 600 a month. In August or September it will be 800 a month. My sister is moving in with me and she is giving me 300 a month and my husband says he will give me 400 a month but it's not enough. I am going to try to find a weekend job but what else can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • Get a full time job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • I'm sorry to hear that. Have you thought about filing for childsupport?

    Answer by Patty414 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • Start looking for a full time job. How much do you owe total on your car? Find out the kelly blue book value of it and sell it for $500 more than you owe on it then buy yourself a junker used car just to get back and forth to work and such. That will free up another $300 a month and reduce your car insurance because you will only have to have liability. Go get on PA til you can find a full time job. Get on WIC if you have kids (which I'm assuming since you are on CM you do have kids or are pregnant?), find a cheaper place to live, there's always something you can do.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • And a lawyer, I assume you have children with him? He'll probably need to pay more than that.

    Answer by gramsmom at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • First don't panic. Life goes on and you will manage somehow, many great woman before you have done and many more will continue making it with out a man in their lives. Don't try to get a job in the weekend, get it, no matter what it is. Don't try, just do it.

    Also get a second job during the week. your mind will be busy, your body will be exhausted but the flow of income will make it bearable. There are many things to think about. Do you guys have any children? Can you get a weekend accelerate program to further your education? It will be hard, very hard but if you invest in yourself you will make it. Don't sit in a fetus position and take the punches, face them and with determination and courage you will make it to economical independence.

    Answer by bebita at 2:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • Get a full time job, child support and spousal support (until you get a full time job).
    Trade the car in for one that is more affordiable, get rid of unnessary expenses (like cable and internet), see if you can get rid of extra's on the phone (like text if applicable), and start clipping coupons.

    Good luck.

    Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 2:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • sell the car and get one you can pay cash for so you don't have a payment. How many children do you have? Google a child support calculator for your state, the state might require hubby to pay more than $400 a month.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

  • See if you can trade the car in for a cheaper car, (we did this- we had a $525 payment, traded it in and got a car for $235/month), cut back on expenses and extras, if you are a good coupon clipper you can save quite a bit of money on groceries. Have you thought about looking for a cheaper place to live? What about checking into rent assistance? Are you elligible for WIC, foodstamps or public aid? Could your sis help split the utilities bill with you as well as pay you for rent? I wish you good luck and hope all works out!

    Answer by MizLee at 10:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.