Any suggestions on how to get a 21 mos old to eat!?

My dd does not like to eat. I try to feed her when she seems hungry, but she won't eat the food I give her. she won't eat veggies, only fruit. She basically nibbles here and there. She only wants to eat junk and I really don't want to give it to her, but I'm so scared that she won't eat at all so sometimes I do. I need advice can anyone help me.

DaGoodLife

Asked by DaGoodLife at 2:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Toddlers love to use food as power over their parents so if you offer her food and she doesn't want it just let it go and offer it at a later time again.. Feed her no junk at all and she'll eat what you put out eventually, kids don't starve themselves... There are days when they will eat a lot and days when they will barely eat, it's all normal. On the days my dd is a picky and bad eater I just make sure that I set out a veggie or fruit plate for her to snack on or offer cheese or yogurth snacks more often during the day. Try to offer healthy snacks and figure out what foods she likes..
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 2:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• thank you stpalmsgirl!
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 2:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i agree! when my son was that age, he would barely eat for days, then he would be like a teenage boy and eat everything he could get his hands on. as long as your kiddo isn't losing weight, i wouldn't worry. it's one of those power struggle things us moms need to get used to. frustrating, isn't it?!?!?!?!
    kesrn

Answer by kesrn at 3:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my dd didn't eat much (still doesn't @ 2), and i worried all the time, but she drank her milk and nibbled (won't touch veggies) and is still growing fine according to pedi. she does drink her juice also and i add vitamins, but she barely eats. i try to sneak other stuff into what she will eat. one thing she likes is pizza, so i try to get ones with more toppings and she doesn't seem to notice...yet. i worry but i guess a lot of kids go through it, if the Pedi is not concerned with growth, then she's probably getting enough, just keep trying!
    Anonymous

• We had the same issue, Miss Munky just turned 4 and has only been eating consistently for the past 18 months.

Lurk (14) has severe sugar issues, so there's no junk food in the house. They can have apples, carrots, bananas, popcorn, salad or whatever else we have.  Eventually, she started eating us out of house and home along with the other two lol! She's always been a fat, strong, healthy baby, so it was just a matter of time.

MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 6:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009