Anyone who knows someone who had/has had and addiction.

I was wondering how many people know someone who was on drugs/of any sort.

Did they get help(rehab)?

Did it help?

I'm scared for someone REALLY close to me and afarid he will never get better:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• I know alot drugs, alochol, pills, none of them will take the step to admit they have the problem, well there is one who is in rehab now, he's doing pretty good , but still doesn't know if he can stay clean.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Five years ago I had a cocaine addiction. I cleaned up without rehab, met a wonderful man, started a family and make no excuses about my past. I think honestly that it depends on whether or not the person WANTS help. If they don't, then nothing you can do or say will really influence them. Drugs tend to completely change the way you think in a way that someone who has never gone through it really can't imagine. All you can really do is be there for them, without endangering yourself, and wait until they have had the proper wake up call and decide to change their life. Then you can offer support and help, which they will need! Without rehab, I can honestly say it was one of the toughest times in my life, but I knew at that point I had no future if I didn't do something different, and I was very grateful for family support. I hope this post helps! Good luck and don't give up on him/her!
    Anonymous

• My mom was a pharmer. ...That means she had an addiction to pharmasutical drugs. She did try to get help. ...it did not help her. She died 2 months ago from "mixed drug intoxication". Not an overdoes. But still something that SHE could have prevented.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have been thru this not only with myself, but with my ex and his two brothers. The truth is, if they don't want the help, there is NOTHING you can do about it. All you can do is be supportive and understanding to them getting the help, but other than that, they have to make the choice and they have to do it. The hardest thing in the world is to see someone you care about abusing drugs and alcohol and being powerless to help them. Rehab and detox are always a good place to start, but as I said before if HE doesn't want it, no amount of rehab will make a difference. My ex is in his 5th rehab in 8 years.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My mother checked herself into rehab 16 yrs ago & hasn't picked up a drink since! But, anon 230 is correct...the person has to WANT that help or they will more than likely go back out-whatever their addiction may be! I wish u & ur friend the best!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Yes, my brothers. The one overcame it when he was sent to jail. The other went into rehab and has relapsed. My family's biggest downfall is alcohol (ton of alcoholics in my family but they will not admit to it). Thankfully I have been good so far.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009