Has your teen ever been arrested for shoplifting?

My 15 year old daughter was arrested for shoplifting at Urban Outfitters. She was charged with Burglary. Do I need a lawyer? I heard that Urban Outfitters prosecutes to the full extent and has had their lawyers send me a letter saying pay this fine or we'll sue. Did that happen to you? Did you pay it? If not what happened? Answers with experience only please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Has she admitted it to you?
    You should be entitled to view their evidence (surveillance footage, security statements).
    If you are planning on doing anything but paying the fine, I'd get a lawyer.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Regardless of guilt or innocence, you need a lawyer. Get one quickly.
    CoolGirlChris

Answer by CoolGirlChris at 5:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You need a criminal defense lawyer. If you don't know one, contact your state or city bar association for a referral.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would get an attorney. Also, if she is guilty, she should be paying the fine, not you. She is old enough to know better. Maybe she will think twice next time. Guilty or innocent you need that attorney.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009