I have a question about sleeping positions

A night i start out laying on my sides but sometimes in the middle of the night when i wake up i am usually on my back because that is the most comfortable way to lay. Somebody told me that it will suffocate the baby if sleep that way, is that true? Which way am i supposed to lay on my side or back or either one?

MOM2B-TY

Asked by MOM2B-TY at 2:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think thats true, because then you could sufficate your baby just laying on the couch. But they do say that laying on your right side gives the baby more air.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• They encourage you to lay on your right side when your pregnant. This is because the weight of the baby and the large uterus can interfer with circulation of blood to the heart and other organs. However, I have read that if you end up on your back, it's not the end of the world. And no it won't suffocate the baby.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Depending on how far along you are its okay, after 20 weeks don't lay on your back.
    Left side is the best, better blood flow.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I always (or at least frequently) ended up on my back all the way through both of my pregnancies. They say to avoid it and lay on your side, but if you're doing it unconciously there really isn't anything you can do, and my doctor also told me that if it was cutting of circulation to the baby it would also be cutting off circulation to my legs and it would probably make me uncomfortable enough to roll over.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• They say after 4 months you should sleep on your left or right side, to sleep on your back puts the weight of the baby down on your blood circulation and that can cause a lack of blood supply to both you and ultimately your baby!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The most comfortable way I used to lay was on my left side. My doctor even said that was the safest way.
    hcashe216

Answer by hcashe216 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The thing is, the weight of the baby and your water, placenta, etc., can press on the major arteries in your back and it can put your legs to sleep. If it happens for even longer, then your blood flow can be blocked enough to bother your heart, but if you're worried and want to sleep on your back, prop yourself up on a couple pillows before you go to sleep. This isn't really a problem until you're farther along anyway, usually in the 3rd trimester... unless you stick out far and early. You'll know though because you'll wake up with your heart pounding. Toward the later part of my pregnancy my hips couldn't take the pressure of sleeping on my sides. I slept on my back from 6 months on, propped up on pillows. No problems.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You people could put a pillow behind u or have a blanket like rolled up behind u and push some of it under you. YES SLEEPING ON UR BACK IS BAD!!!!!!!!! Babycenter.com under pregnancy has some things on there like sleeping positions or sleeping on ur back or something that u can click on and it tells u why. You can cut off blood flow to ur legs and ur heart and something about the placenta too!!!!!
    Anonymous