Is this intimacy position not good for the baby?

Usually when i am intimate i am on top, but someone told me it could cause the umbilical cord to wrap around the child, and another person told me it was ok.Which one is it?

MOM2B-TY

Asked by MOM2B-TY at 2:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That's an old wives tale....for many pregnant women this is one of the only comfortable positions they can have sex in.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• That is a little silly through my eyes... how could it cause the cord to wrap around the babies neck? Its just like sitting up, with a little more movement! ;) I wouldnt worry about it, but if you are... ask your doctor!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Nothing you can do can wrap the cord around the baby's neck. Something like that either happens or it doesn't. You can't control that. As for being on top, the only thing is your SO might have potential to hit your cervix, which can bruise it (ouch) or it can cause trauma like it might make you bleed a little. If you bleed a lot and have cramps, then you need to worry, but my husband and I made love that way almost the whole time I was pregnant. I just tried to make sure I controlled enough not to let him go in too far. If he bumps your cervix, you'll know. It's not a comfortable thing. That's my experience. FYI I bled a tiny tiny bit almost every time after my DH and I had sex while I was pregnant. Nothing to worry about.
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I can't believe women are still passing this kind of crap around. There is nothing you can physically do that will wrap..or unwrap the umbilical cord anywhere.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think being intamate is however you feel comfortable
    jjross

Answer by jjross at 6:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• LOL no that's not true. Actually that is one of the position's recommended to use when your pregnant because your belly is up and out of the way. So enjoy yourself!
    mommyGarcia09

Answer by mommyGarcia09 at 8:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2009