• In the Spotlight:

Ok, when I had IV antibiotics and didn't eat for a week it took my months to get my system right - I threw up for days. How much of a difference is there between how I reacted and how a 2 year old would react? And how long would you wait for their system to be normal before you freaked out and took them into the hospital?

MyBoyAndrew

Asked by MyBoyAndrew at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• after taking antibiotics it is important to get the good bacteria back. most yogurts have a little, look for live enzymes. to get a good amount go to the health food store and get some acidophillous. they should have one for kids too.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree with the acidophillous and yogurt but why were you sick for so many days. Neither one of those should have made you throw up unless you were having a reaction to the antibiotics (or sick with a virus that causes that). If you weren't already sick and it was the antibiotics they should have switched the ones you were on. If your child is having the same reaction then I would call the Dr. and let him know that your child is having a reaction to the antibotics. Both of my kids have been on antibiotics and not eaten for days and once they were felling better acted fine (no throwing up). Good luck and I hope you two are feeling better soon!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had meningitis and encephalitis and was on IV antiabiotic and antivirals and was on anitnausea meds to go with it. The child is my neice and she had a bad UTI and Stomatitis in her mouth which is why she wasn't eating. They admitted her, gave her antibiotics, then when she would drink on her own let her go home. The next day her mother took her to lunch at a mexican restaurant and let her down a bunch of food, even though she hasn't eaten in days. She threw up three times and she took her back to the hospital and they admitted her again. So I guess the real question is if she'd just let her relax could this have been avoided? Should she had given her system a chance to get back up and running?
    MyBoyAndrew

Answer by MyBoyAndrew at 3:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Uh yeah this really could have been avoided. Even if your stomach is feeling well when your sick your body is still working hard to fight whatever you have. She should have had her on easy to digest food, definately not mexican food. The combination of the not eating and the virus was probably just to much for her. I hope she's feeling better. I hope your feeling better too.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Thank you for your concern, I'm much better. It's almost been a year for me. My niece is doing fine, she will leave the hospital today. Nothing is wrong with her anymore except her mother is a drama queen. I appreciate your insight, sometimes you get too close to the situation you tend to not see it in all directions anymore so an outside view is appreciated.
    MyBoyAndrew

Answer by MyBoyAndrew at 10:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2009