Washing hands to much?

I have a 5yr old daughter who wants to constantly wash her hands. She asks me probably 20 times a day. Is this normal? Before and after she eats, if she pets the cat, if she goes to the bathroom, if she goes outside, ect. I know some is just good habit, but how much is to much? We have a history of OCD in our family. Are these early signs?

momcatx3

Asked by momcatx3 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This is an OCD symptom...talk to your ped about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son did that, but, he hated touching anything....his was sensory dysfuntion issue, like with tactile issues. He wouldn't even touch his cake on his first birthday, he asked for his spoon to eat it with. And he ate his whole piece and his ice cream with it. He also wouldn't touch the sand on the beach and threw a hissy fit when i sat him down on it. He was 18 months. He still doesn't like to get dirty or touch stuff at 13. But, it hasn't caused issues or disrupted his life. If it had, we would have taken him to a doctor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my daughter is the same way. On her first birthday she wouldn't touch her cake either untill she had a spoon. She also doesn't like to have her food touching at all.
    momcatx3

Answer by momcatx3 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2009