*spinoff* I know alot of mom's limit what their kids watch, but, are there any like me that never did?

Like let your kids watch everything then use whatever they see as opportunities to talk and learn? My son was watching Ed, Edd and Eddy, and all the "older" cartoons early. He went to the movies and saw Blair Witch Project and Lake Placid at three. Was watching horror movies then and loved Titanic even...He now at 13, loves "A Clockwork Orange, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Fight Club and American History X.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 2:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your son may have turned out just fine, I dont know him. But I think that is too much violence and hate for a child to see so young.

Kids are kids once, they have plenty of time when they are adults to decide how much violence they like to see in their movies.

My kids watch Noggin, and a few other mild cartoons, some disney movies. Anything else is screened for appropriateness.
    Anonymous

• Actually, he has always been very intelligent and inquisitive. He had an immense vocabulary and understood quite well the difference between real and pretend. He has been tested at the gifted level and I believe in part to my involvment with him and his being able to talk and learn a vast number of things while he was ready and willing to listen and learn. To this day, he is able to converse with young and old alike. He shows compassion and empathy for everyone and everyting. He is in no way violent or cruel or anything of the like. He wasn't able to watch whatever with no explination, he was however, allowed to watch with me and learn from all. With thorough discussions about what is seen and reprocussion that would befall him from certain actions. Which aren't seen on certain shows.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Funny you ask this cause I was just thinking about how many things bring up "teachable moments". I do monitor what my dd sees to an extent but I try not to sensor too much also. I don't lkie stuff with too much violence or sex. I do try to use moments as an open door to teach things. She was at VBS and a boy wouldnt leave her alone and told her he loved her (she just met him they are 7). When she got home I talked to her about how long she thinks its takes for feeling of like to turn into real love. She had all kinds of ideas about that and told me stuff she had seen on tv of people dating for 13 yrs and STILL didnt know if they wanted to get married. Anyway its nice that we can talk openly about all kinds of things that she has seen. Animal planet has been a great teaching tool for "where babies come out" LOL
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think that some kids are able to handle it, other kids are not. It seems from what you say that your son was able to handle it. I have a friend, however, whose dad let her watch Jaws at age nine and she had nightmares for years. Clearly she was not ready to handle it. I would say let you child guide you. I personally don't want my kids seeing graphic 'human' violence at their age (oldest is seven, youngest is two) but I do use 'cartoon violence' as a means to talk about those issues, and I do let them watch uncensored nature shows where animals get killed/eaten and use that as an opportunity to talk about nature, the food chain, etc.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I didn't censor what my boys watched usually. I didn't let them watch Beavis and Butthead simply because they would imitate that stupid laugh and it was annoying. Our oldest boy loves horror flicks and has forever. He never had nightmares or any ill effects from watching them. Our youngest was scared pretty easily so he didn't watch scary movies until he was in his late teens. I don't think there is anything wrong with monitoring what children watch. I just chose not to do it.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 3:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My best friend has two daughters. When the girls were growing up, she refused to censor television and music. Instead, she talked to her daughters about what they saw, and she allowed them to ask questions. Those girls are now 17 and 15, and they have the greatest relationship with their mother!! They are honor rolls students, and they participate in student government and sports.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I appreciate all the positive feedback. I was feeling like I was alone. I'm glad there are some that do see it how I do. Thanks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My sister didn't monitor what her kids watched. She used the 'opportunity to talk and discuss' approach. I will not go into details because she is here too..but it isn't good. They both have been in trouble in school for 'reinacting' crap they saw on TV, in trouble for mouthy stuff, repeating what they heard on TV.
    She agrees she should have taken a stricter approach.
    Anonymous

• I only ban shows I hate like Dora the Explorer and Spongebob.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I do not ban anything but spongebob simply because I feel it is very stupid and has no value for educational discussions. Grant it my DD is only 19 months but yes she has watched American History X with me because the message is very good and very clear. Hate is hate and hate is not good and when she gets older I will explain that hate can even kill. We watched Charmed things like that. She loves the show Degrassi and I think as she gets older the messages from that show will teach her and will give us a chance to talk about things as she grows up. Music well I do not listen to RAP and do NOT like it around my DD. We listen to metal you might say that it's evil all that but her daddy is a singer in a local metal band and she loves it. She's been raised on metal and so was I. Movies and TV are fake and she will know that. Music is an outlet and she will know that too.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2009